Menu

another math sequence question. what to do after TT Alg 2?

ok lots of questions. I can totally use some advice from those who are familiar with high school math sequence and different math curriculums. Bare with me, I'm new to homeschooling and SO NOT a math person.

Daughter is 10th grade, finishing up TT Algebra 2 (old version). We were in a bind last year and a really nice homeschool mom let us borrow this book. dd liked it so we've stuck with it. She did Algebra 1 in 8th grade public school...which she passed by the skin of her teeth with a C, but aced the Algebra EOC exam. then she took Geometry in 9th grade with FLVS and passed with an A. She's been doing extremely well with TT Alg 2, she's passing her tests. It has not been too EASY for her, she's says she's learning things she has not learned before. SO, she is learning new concepts and totally gets it, no problem... so I have no regrets using this curriculum. She just recently took the PERT exam for dual enrollment program, she tested in to Intermediate Algebra, which to my knowledge is Algebra 2.?? Since it is NOT a college credit course she does not want to take it, and she was super bummed that she didn't test in to College Algebra. She's taking Apologia Chemistry and doing extremely well, so I have faith that her math skills can be challenged more. 

Now I'm on the hunt for next years course but I'm so lost. I've been creeping on the forums for days but now I'm on information overload and super confused. 

From what I've read, TT Algebra 2 is more on the level of Alg 1? And the majority of TT users do not move on to TT Pre-Cal after TT Alg 2..they go with other programs. The confusion creeps in when I read about when and where pre cal and trig are taught and this is why most move on to a different program besides TT.

So now what?  according to where my daughter is now mathwise .....what in the world do I give her next? Pre-Cal? Trig? what's a good program she can learn independently from? She's smart enough to handle a more in depth course. She does better learning on her own, she doesn't want a teacher, she doesn't need a tutor. She doesn't mind the dvd's lectures like TT, even though she rarely used them. I just want her to be on the right track for college math. TIA

Typically the next course to take after Algebra 2 would be Precalculus (which includes trig).  If your dd likes TT and has been doing well in it, I'd suggest sticking with that and moving on to their Precalculus course.

I haven't used TT, but from what I've read, their sequence may be a bit different, in that they've put some topics in Precalc that appear in other high school algebra 2 texts. They seem to have their reasons for doing so, and by staying with the program, your dd would still get those topics. I've also read that they have added more content to the newer edition of algebra 2... but I don't know if their Precalc changed at all as a result. If you're concerned, I'd suggest having your dd take the placement test for Precalc that's on TT's website. If she doesn't test into it because of missing topics, you could contact TT and ask their advice.

Incidentally, colleges can vary as to how they apportion content across their algebra classes--which is why they have their own placement tests. It's possible your dd placed into Int. Algebra simply because of a few topics she hasn't covered yet (and the rest would be repeat.)  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If she did TT precalc next year and then tested again, it's possible she'd test into calculus at that point. I've read of other students who have successfully gone on to calculus after TT precalc.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

My homeschooled guys did TT through (including) Pre-Calc, then tested directly into Calc and did well.

I'll also admit to bringing them home a few math tests from the public high school where I work just to make sure they were doing well overall - not just with TT material.  They did well.  Very well.

If in doubt and without a ps to pull other tests from, you could look online to see what other material is out there to supplement with.  I bought a Lial's book inexpensively online when I had doubts about TT.  It was still no problem for my guys to handle problems from that book.  If it is a problem with your daughter, TT might not be working as well for her and a switch could be good.

At our ps, College Alg (a DE course with our local cc) is a class kids take AFTER they have completed Pre-Calc.  I know this can vary, but I wanted to mention it because it can be "normal" to not be ready for it after Alg 2.

• Like 1

I have a friend whose engineering major ds took TT pre-calc next, then took pre-calc again using Thinkwell.  His college made everyone retake calculus anyway, so his mom thought it would be better to solidify his pre-calc skills. He was very well prepared for college level calculus.

• Like 1

Typically the next course to take after Algebra 2 would be Precalculus (which includes trig).  If your dd likes TT and has been doing well in it, I'd suggest sticking with that and moving on to their Precalculus course.

I haven't used TT, but from what I've read, their sequence may be a bit different, in that they've put some topics in Precalc that appear in other high school algebra 2 texts. They seem to have their reasons for doing so, and by staying with the program, your dd would still get those topics. I've also read that they have added more content to the newer edition of algebra 2... but I don't know if their Precalc changed at all as a result. If you're concerned, I'd suggest having your dd take the placement test for Precalc that's on TT's website. If she doesn't test into it because of missing topics, you could contact TT and ask their advice.

Incidentally, colleges can vary as to how they apportion content across their algebra classes--which is why they have their own placement tests. It's possible your dd placed into Int. Algebra simply because of a few topics she hasn't covered yet (and the rest would be repeat.)  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If she did TT precalc next year and then tested again, it's possible she'd test into calculus at that point. I've read of other students who have successfully gone on to calculus after TT precalc.

Hope this helps!

yes this helps, thanks for the info..

I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with TT. I printed the placement test and I contacted them this morning. They said nothing was added to the content of the new version, they only updated how the program runs. that doesn't matter because we used the old version anyway. They haven't updated the Pre Cal program yet, its in the works but no release date yet. 

• Like 1

My homeschooled guys did TT through (including) Pre-Calc, then tested directly into Calc and did well.

I'll also admit to bringing them home a few math tests from the public high school where I work just to make sure they were doing well overall - not just with TT material.  They did well.  Very well.

If in doubt and without a ps to pull other tests from, you could look online to see what other material is out there to supplement with.  I bought a Lial's book inexpensively online when I had doubts about TT.  It was still no problem for my guys to handle problems from that book.  If it is a problem with your daughter, TT might not be working as well for her and a switch could be good.

At our ps, College Alg (a DE course with our local cc) is a class kids take AFTER they have completed Pre-Calc.  I know this can vary, but I wanted to mention it because it can be "normal" to not be ready for it after Alg 2.

I wouldn't mind supplementing, great idea..thanks

I have a friend whose engineering major ds took TT pre-calc next, then took pre-calc again using Thinkwell.  His college made everyone retake calculus anyway, so his mom thought it would be better to solidify his pre-calc skills. He was very well prepared for college level calculus.

good to know, thanks. The lady that is letting us borrow her TT books has a son who majored in engineer.....and they strictly used TT. I'm feeling a lot more at ease with my choice to stick with TT.

• Like 2

I agree with the others, after TT Algebra 2, move to TT Pre-Calc. From there, you can see what she tests into at the CC. Some go straight from there to Calc, some retake Pre-Calc at the college level. Much depends on her own ability to intuit how to do more complex problems from the basics she will have learned in TT. Some can, some can't.

Another option would be to take something like Lial's Intermediate Algebra and go through it quickly. A good method is to look at each chapter and if she thinks she already knows it, take the test. If she doesn't know it or doesn't do well on the test, go ahead and complete those chapters. She might be able to do this over the summer in time to register for College Algebra in the fall. 

The old version of TT Algebra 2, finishes Algebra 1 and includes quite a bit of Algebra 2, but not all that would be in a typical Algebra 2. 

I agree with the others, after TT Algebra 2, move to TT Pre-Calc. From there, you can see what she tests into at the CC. Some go straight from there to Calc, some retake Pre-Calc at the college level. Much depends on her own ability to intuit how to do more complex problems from the basics she will have learned in TT. Some can, some can't.

Another option would be to take something like Lial's Intermediate Algebra and go through it quickly. A good method is to look at each chapter and if she thinks she already knows it, take the test. If she doesn't know it or doesn't do well on the test, go ahead and complete those chapters. She might be able to do this over the summer in time to register for College Algebra in the fall. 

The old version of TT Algebra 2, finishes Algebra 1 and includes quite a bit of Algebra 2, but not all that would be in a typical Algebra 2. 

funny, I looked at Lials Interm Alg last year when I was trying to figure out what to do for Alg 2. So I take it Lials cover more Alg 2 than TT?  

My daughter will be finishing the TT Alg 2 probably by the end of this month. I wouldn't mind giving her some extra math for the summer. 

funny, I looked at Lials Interm Alg last year when I was trying to figure out what to do for Alg 2. So I take it Lials cover more Alg 2 than TT?  

My daughter will be finishing the TT Alg 2 probably by the end of this month. I wouldn't mind giving her some extra math for the summer. 

Lial's does cover a few more topics and some topics with more depth. I consider it a solid on-level text. My dd had no trouble placing into college algebra a little before she finished LIal's and she really isn't particularly "mathy". However, I hesitate to even mention that, because you can find kids that place into College Algebra after TT Algebra 2 as well. Every kid is different.

• Like 2