Menu

How do you teach Visual Perceptual Skills?

CalicoKat

when dd 7 was evaluated last fall the final recommendation included a blurb about doing more work with her visual perceptual skills. They explained it as solving mazes, puzzles, etc. So we've been doing that.

What do you do? How do you know they're making progress other than just that they can solve a maze or puzzle by themselves?

You could try some of the Critical Thinking Co. books. They actually have a Visual Perceptual Skill Building book--one for PreK-1 and one for Gr. 2-3, each is 24.99 (I happen to have a catalog here). I think their Building Thinking Skills books also cover some of that. Physical construction activities like legos, blocks, paper airplanes, origami, etc. would also be helpful. I liked the Building Thinking Skills Hands On Primary for preschool age because it used manipulatives--pattern blocks, attribute blocks, and unifix cubes. There is something to be said for having experience with something solid and tangible to help understand the representations on paper.

You could always change the rules to make them take turns. It's actually a very flexible sort of game. I play it with my dd cooperatively: I'll notice a set and then give her hints to help her "see" it. Sometimes she'll do the same for me. You can also limit the number of options (and therefore the difficulty) but using cards of only one color at a time. That's a great way to teach the game because it's less overwhelming but still challenging for beginners. Good luck!