Menu

Head is spinning! Need to pick a HS writing curric after IEW, LTOW

As the title of my post mentions, I've been doing intense research on writing curriculum for the last few weeks and my head is spinning! My daughter is in 9th this year and goes to the public high school part time for music and electives. She also took Biology this year but has no interest in taking any other core classes at the high school. She was in public school full time through 7th grade and stayed home exclusively in 8th.

For the last two years we have done bits and pieces of several writing curricula, including IEW TWSS, IEW SWI-C and LToW 1. LToW1 combined with EIL and Fix-It grammar have made up our English credit for this year. IEW was a bit too formulaic and repetitive for us, so we dropped it. We do still use many of the dress-ups, sentence openers and decorations taught in IEW, but my kids do not want to do any more IEW lessons. 

Last year while working through various EIL lessons she used LToW 1. We started at the beginning but then she skipped some of the intermediate lessons and moved to the complete persuasive essay. She basically used LToW when needed to help her with the written assignments for EIL. Her literary analysis papers for EIL seem to be well written and carefully thought out, but I have a chemistry degree and was not a lover of high school English, so take that for what it's worth  :laugh:

She did like LToW, but I am hesitant to continue with LToW 2 next year, only because I think she should branch out a little and learn other types of essay writing. LToW 2 seems to continue with two more elaborate versions of the persuasive essay, called the deliberative and judicial essay. The website describes these as refinements of the persuasive essay but written in the past and future tense.

Some of the other programs I have looked at are Bravewriter, EIW, Classical Writing, WriteShop, and more that I can't remember. I am drawn most to Bravewriter, although I've heard some folks on the forums say it's a little light. I think I like it because it would also be a good fit for my 7th grade son who hates writing and is not enjoying WWS this year. He also did not like IEW last year, but I'm not sure there is anything he WOULD like. My one issue with Bravewriter is where to start, there are so many choices!  The website says to start at the beginning even if your child flies through the first levels. Well, that would make it one VERY expensive program if I would have to buy each level and move onto the next in a month or two. I have the same opinion after looking at previews of some of the other curriculum like EIW. I feel that starting at the middle or end of a 6 year program is not a great idea because the upper levels build on each other from the beginning, and to skip them would confuse the student.

My daughter is planning on going to college to pursue a degree in music, so that means lots of essays for applications and SAT/ACT tests eventually. I purchased a used copy of the Elegant Essay by Lesha Myers but haven't received it yet (yes, I know, more IEW!!! but hopefully not dress-ups etc...) Was hoping to do that as a short boot camp this summer with her before picking something to work through next year.

My inclination is to get the Bravewriter package Homeschool Buyers Co-op is offering for Writers Jungle and Help for High School so I would have both kids covered. If anyone has used either of these and has opinions on them, I'd love to hear them. If you have used LToW 2 and have advice about that curriculum, I'd love a review of it.  If anyone else has other curriculum they use that might fit our needs, please let me know, I'll take a look at anything at this point!

Thank you!!!

You tried parts of so many different approaches that I'm not completely clear what your children have mastered.  However, I would decide on one approach/curriculum for next year and stay the course with it.

For example, if you use Bravewriter, I would take the online classes.  The Bravewriter approach is different and requires more from the teacher/mentor.  Also, the input from Bravewriter instructors is worth every penny.

Classes for your son -  Kidswrite Intermediate, Movie Discussion Club, Boomerang Club, Write Your Own Greek Myth, Photography

All of these would be great choices for him.  Start with Kidwrite Intermediate and one discussion club.  Do one other class in the spring.  Even our mathy, reluctant writer loved Bravewriter classes and wrote beautiful pieces in his Bravewriter classes.

Classes for your daughter - Expository Essay, Timed Essay, Advanced Composition I, High School Writing Projects

Again, all great choices.  Four classes equal one year of credit.  Begin with Expository Essay unless your daughter has mastered 5-paragraph essays with research and MLA documentation.

We have used LToW I and like it very much.  We are signed up for LToW 2 next year and expect it will be excellent as well.  The thinking required for LToW is the reason we are going forward.

Fwiw, if your daughter was able to write the essays in EIL, I wouldn't worry about a boot camp this summer.  Just decide on a path for next year and sign up for classes or prep to teach.

I agree with Togo. Brave Writer is very mentor heavy and it's worth every penny I pay for the online classes.

By the way Help For High School is basically Kidswriter Intermediate and Expository Essay in a pdf format. I bought it thinking I would teach it, but then decided it would be much better to pay a mentor to teach it. I can't draw out more from my kids and give the editing advice needed.

While the online Bravewriter writing classes are 1/4 credit each, I think you could do fewer than four and then add some literature on your own to round out an English credit.

I will add that she is already taking two, possibly three online classes next year (Latin, AP Human Geography and possibly AP Music Theory) so I was hoping to do the writing at home and not online. I have looked into hiring a local tutor to help her with writing, mostly the editing part and not teaching a curriculum. Between the online classes, public school classes, plus drivers ed and other extra curricular activities, I'd rather not try to squeeze in one more class. We may not actually start English until her fall activities are over at the end of October just to give her some breathing room. Maybe Bravewriter would fit our schedule after all, though, since the classes are only 6 weeks, we could skip the first fall session and start later in the school year. Sorry, just thinking as I type there  :tongue_smilie:

It sounds like your daughter already has a full schedule.  Since she will be doing writing as part of her AP classes, I think your plan to wait for composition is wise.

The short time-frame for Bravewriter classes is a plus because you can pick a type of writing that appeals to your child or needs improvement, focus on that for 6 weeks, and move on or practice at home if necessary.  The classes don't require a semester or year-long commitment.

If they took classes online, would it be helpful for me to get The Writers Jungle and/or Help for High School or would that be redundant? I'm a planner, so I like to have an idea of what they might be doing ahead of time, but it's not totally necessary if I'll be getting the materials with the class when we register.

Looking at the fall schedule I plan on signing my daughter up for Powerful Fiction Techniques (she wants to do NaNoWriMo this November) and Expository Essay for the late fall/early winter. My son would love Write Your Own Greek Myth and Middle School Writing Projects. I am hoping the Photography and Writing class will be offered in the spring, I didn't see it on the list for summer or fall.

Thank you 1Togo, Carol in Cal and Julie of KY for your help! I feel much better now with my choices. I LOVE these forums.

Your choices are excellent.  I've been looking at the lovely list of fall classes and trying to decide what dd should take if we can put the time in her schedule.  You don't need to buy anything for the classes.  All the lesson material is provided.  Just sign up and breathe a sigh of relief that writing is covered.  Do keep in mind that your daughter may need up to an hour or more daily for her classes, depending on the lesson.  Our dd is enrolled in the Shakespeare 12th Night course, and she is spending a good bit of time each day on the homework.  She loves it though and would spend more time if she could.