Menu

Recommendation for Evolution/Creation Debate Please

I'm looking for a debate on evolution versus creation. The ideal would be one where a geological observation is presented and both sides discuss why and how that same observation fits their theory better. I would like my son to be able to make an educated inclination. I don't personally care which side of the debate he ends up on. I hold to the theory that both sides are wrong.  I saw the Ken Ham vs. Bill Nye one but it wasn't really what I was looking for. If anyone knows one, much appreciated.

I wouldn't take it as evolution vs. creation. As there are Christians who believe God created the world via evolution. I wouldn't want my child to think it's God created it vs. evolution in other words. See biologos (online) for information about that aspect. http://biologos.org/questions/biologos-id-creationismThey are calling it evolutionary creation vs. old or young earth creationism. Maybe you could use those terms, if you come from a faith perspective anyway.

• Like 1

I'm actually most interested in the idea that both are wrong. That sounds like a most curious idea.

I can't think of any debates but I think your framing of the question is too basic. Are you talking about universe origins? Abiogenesis? Evolution of species? Age of the solar system and age of the earth?

This graphic on the various 'flavours' of the debate might be helpful to you http://ncse.com/files/images/continuum.preview.gif

And http://ncse.com/creationismhas lots of resources. 

• Like 2

There is a nice trick on YouTube that might help you.  If you add ",long" to the end of any search, it will only provide videos over 20 minutes in length.  I searched for "creation evolution, long" and it brings up a whole host of debates.  I am not sure if any fit your needs, but it looks like a nice assortment.

• Like 2

Check out the debates on YouTube that are with Dr. Hugh Ross and John Ankerberg. Dr. Hugh Ross is an Astrophysicist but he does discuss the geology in depth in some of the debates (which makes sense... geology is super important in Astronomy). Dr. Hugh Ross is a Progressive Creationist. So he believes the earth is billions of years old, not young. He does not follow apes to man evolution however.

Then there is Dr. Francis Collins, who is a Christian and former head of the Human Genome project and current director of the National Institutes of Health. He believes in apes to man evolution and explains the biology of it with an emphasis on genetics. He has phrased the term "Theistic Evolution", which he calls the "BioLogos" and there is now an organization with the same name, which would be a great resource to check out.

Those are two scientists I would consider to be experts on the topic, unlike Ken Ham and Bill Nye.

• Like 1

I recommend The Rocks Don't Lie by David Montgomery as a primer on how geologists have come to conclude that the earth is billions of years old. I can't tell on my phone how old your soon is but it is pretty readable and an interested middle schooler could handle it.