Menu

Teaching children with learning differences - book recs?

Not curriculum recommendations (I'm happy with what we are using), but books on HOW to teach these kiddos - both children classified as gifted; one we KNOW is dyslexic, and the other we strongly suspect is also (but is too young for formal testing at not 6 for another week).

Specifically, making content subjects "come alive" for them - they have to work so very hard in their skill based subjects because of their struggles, that I would really like for their content subjects to not be so tedious. This may not need to be a resource specifically for teaching LD kiddos, it could just be a really awesome "how to teach anybody" resource.

Any recommendations?

Tools of the Mind: The Vygotskian Approach to Early Childhood Education (2nd Edition)

This is what I'm reading right now, and it's like this great big lightbulb on, where you start to see everything differently.  If you've had thoughts of "this ought to work if I..." it might provide some validation for that.  His idea of Zones of Proximal Development make everything make sense with our kids and how we interact with them.  It's that constant balance of us introducing things and planting seeds, them beginning to apply it (because they can, they're gifted!), and it LATER coming together into a full thing.  He calls it being on the edge of emergence as a skill.  So brilliant.  

Awakening Children's Minds: How Parents and Teachers Can Make a Difference

I requested this one from the library to read next.  I think it tries to apply Vygotsky's ideas and take them to the next level, not sure.

There's actually very little I've read on education I really loved.  School of Dreams: Making the Grade at a Top American High School

I read straight through, and that's unusual for me.  No Mind Left Behind: Understanding and Fostering Executive Control--The Eight Essential Brain SkillsE very Child...

was good enough I bought it, though it has been so long I don't recall exactly what resonated with me in it.  

I think if we can search our inner souls, be true to our vision, and not listen to naysayers, we can probably go a long way in educating our kids the way we need.  I try to stop and ask myself the What if... question.  What if I weren't feeling pressured by such and such?  What if I weren't worried about x?  What if I had more money?  What if I could do ANYTHING? What if I believed anything were possible?  What if I believed it COULD work? What would my dc want if they REALLY could do what they really wanted?  Questions like that let me get back to my more honest, less pressured state.

Really, the most interesting way to get to the what-ifs of giftedness is to read beyond your comfort zone.  Better Than School: One Family's Declaration of Independence

This was one of the first books I read on homeschooling and it's still the picture I have in my mind when ask my what-ifs...  What if I wasn't scared of the outcome.  What COULD happen and what COULD my kids do?

• Like 1

Magic Trees of the Mind...This book is old, and I read it 14 years ago.  The books discusses brain plasticity and the importance of creating enriched environments for children but not so much the how.

I always understood the child's IQ was a cross between Dad and Mom's IQ.  For content areas, my kid's explore alongside DH and me.  Three nights ago, DH and the kids built a bat house and viewed Jupiter and Venus with our telescope.  We listen to audio books, plant gardens, watch documentaries, visit museums, go to ballet shows, play badminton, and build decks together. Yes, my DD was pulling nails during demolition.  What book is going to teach you that?  Live with them and explore together.  

I don't have any great book recommendations, but I have posted our summer learning adventures for a few years now, and they might give you inspiration for your content subjects. We've built a physics playground, created a Lego version of each chapter of The Door in the Wall, built replicas of Leonardo da Vinci's inventions etc. http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/category/education/free-lesson-plans/

I've found that the most fun hands-on lessons tend to use the unit study method of teaching, so you may do well to look for books on that topic.

• Like 2