Menu

Recommend a rolling cart, please!

Aiden

I'll be going to my first homeschool convention in late June. I'm taking seriously the advice to bring a rolling cart to hold all my purchases. Since I don't own one, I need to buy one, and if I'm going to buy one, I need it to meet the following requirements:

(1) Sturdy enough (and roomy enough) to hold the weight of a bunch of books/supplies without breaking--I think 50lb would do it?

(2) Foldable--it needs to fit either in a suitcase or in a box that I can mail to my new house at the end of the summer OR dirt cheap so that I don't feel bad getting rid of it at the end of the summer

(3) Also something I can use for grocery shopping on foot at my new urban home this fall (unless of course, #2 was met with the dirt cheap option, in which case I'll order something specifically for groceries)--i.e., can roll on rough concrete, can use with a few stairs without too much problem, etc

Please tell me what to buy! Thanks.

ETA: For (3), I have insulated bags that I don't mind using inside a non-insulated cart, so that part isn't too much of a concern. If it becomes a concern, I've reserved the right to buy a cart that's specifically made for groceries once I establish that I will, indeed, use a cart for grocery shopping.

We've had good luck finding nice suitcases on wheels at thrift stores. Maybe something like that to tote around convention would work?

We have lots of suitcases on wheels, but I'm hoping for something with an easy-access-from-the-top design. I could just keep the zipper pulls on the top, open just that part, and drop purchases in, but I get concerned about doing that with books (I don't want to dent them), so I'd end up pulling out of the way somewhere and opening it up fully to make sure everything was secure.

• Like 1

I have gone through many, many rolling carts in the last 15 years.The rolling crate-like things that you can get at office supply stores and websites work well and can probably hold fifty pounds are a good option- I used them for books or groceries (they can hold four gallons of milk) and they're a good option, but awful in the rain. If you get one of those, be sure it's reinforced with metal in the sides and isn't just plastic. They fold up. After going through a couple of them over the years, I switched to Rolser carts. They're more expensive but more flexible too. I just replaced my first one. I overloaded it about a year ago with a 25-kilo bag of wheat and it has been slowly breaking down since but it has still been useable. Their weight limit is 20 kilos so that's a little lower than your preferred weight.

I used my first Rolser to do all my grocery shopping on foot around Oakwood for six months, then for 18 months here in Guadalajara where I do all the grocery shopping on foot, going up stairs, over train tracks, and up and down curbs all the time. It can definitely handle urban life as long as it's not overloaded and 20 kilos really is a lot of food. Most of them can't be folded, but my first one (plegamatic) could and it easily fit in a suitcase.

• Like 1

I have gone through many, many rolling carts in the last 15 years.The rolling crate-like things that you can get at office supply stores and websites work well and can probably hold fifty pounds are a good option- I used them for books or groceries (they can hold four gallons of milk) and they're a good option, but awful in the rain. If you get one of those, be sure it's reinforced with metal in the sides and isn't just plastic. They fold up. After going through a couple of them over the years, I switched to Rolser carts. They're more expensive but more flexible too. I just replaced my first one. I overloaded it about a year ago with a 25-kilo bag of wheat and it has been slowly breaking down since but it has still been useable. Their weight limit is 20 kilos so that's a little lower than your preferred weight.

I used my first Rolser to do all my grocery shopping on foot around Oakwood for six months, then for 18 months here in Guadalajara where I do all the grocery shopping on foot, going up stairs, over train tracks, and up and down curbs all the time. It can definitely handle urban life as long as it's not overloaded and 20 kilos really is a lot of food. Most of them can't be folded, but my first one (plegamatic) could and it easily fit in a suitcase.

Thanks, Amira. You've given me some things to think about ... I'm leaning toward trying the crates first since they're cheaper and fold, but once I establish that I really will do as much walking as I think I will in Athens, maybe invest in something more like a Rolser. I don't think rain should be a problem; it's usually sunny in Athens, and this summer, I'll only use it at the convention.

• Like 1

Walmart often has them in the office supply section. In my store, they are Rubbermaid brand. You have to really look carefully because they are folded flat laying on the shelf .

Now I have not bought one of these, but I figured it was an option you could check out in person.

• Like 1