Menu

s/o "soft" swearing....swearing....what works to curb it?

umsami

What have you found has worked to curb swearing in your home? (Could be "soft" swearing if that's a problem for you.... could be full blown sailor)

I've heard of swear jars....where people deposit money into a jar each time they swear.  Do these work?

What else?

One of my kids used to say "oh barnacles!" (like SpongeBob...which I'm totally fine with) but recently it has gotten much worse.  The youngest, who is four, is imitating it as well.

I don't know.  Seems like too much of a punishment for swearing.  Especially if it is harmless swearing.  Meaning they stub their toe and yell something out verses calling someone a swear word or swearing in their own home verses at their teacher at school.  The second would be very serious in my book.  The first not at all. 

• Like 3

I'm with sparkly. I very rarely swear - I'm not sure I've ever said certain swear words out loud and am not tempted to, or not much. But I think it go along with teaching a time & a place. For certain language. Just like in writing, there's formal & informal - spech is the same. Also, some of my kids have a tendency overreact so helping them to keep things in perspective helps so they can at least have the language fit the circumstance.z

eta: holy typos, batman. Forgive me, on my phone.

• Like 1

I think modeling not swearing is the biggest thing in our home, but of course that isn't perfect.  If one of our kids says a word that isn't acceptable in our home they are told to go into the bathroom were potty words belong. Not sure it is the best solution, but it works of us.

• Like 1

Swear jar worked for dh. Mostly because I didn't want to deal with the fallout of toddlers using various words in inappropriate settings. I can't imagine it would be very successful with kids.

I had a discussion about swear words this morning. When I used them all the time they lost their potency, so I started limiting their use and got pretty thoroughly out of the habit. I did tell them I would willingly tell them about any words they wanted/needed to know. I remember feeling a bit behind trying to pick up actual meanings from context of use.

In our house it has never been terribly necessary, but I have used the "potty words being in the potty" (and had it said to me). Also, I use the super-long-winded explanation approach. Nobody wants to hear that any more than they have to!