Menu

Spelling program for 13 yo?

mo2

My 13yo is not a natural speller, and I am looking for a program to work through over the next year or so.  I don't want anything that will cost a fortune or take several years to complete, just something straightforward, to the point, and geared toward older kids. Does anything like that exist?

• 2 weeks later...

We started homeschooling when my daughter was a 7th grader.  I was able to borrow a copy of Spelling Power to use with her.  I think she placed into Level D, and we just continued on until we finished the book a year or so later.

If I'd had more knowledge and funds, I would have used Sequential Spelling.  There is a Seq. Spelling for Adults.  The main page on Sequential Spelling is here.

Regards,

Kareni

Apples & Pears.  It might be more $ and time than what you wish, but it's very effective and written for remediating dyslexia in older kids.  It's a 4-book series, and each book has about 60 levels.  If you do a level per day (skipping the easypeasy stuff in book A), you can probably work through the whole series in a year.

I use this with a 10yo, and she does one student page per day which stretches each book out over a year. This takes her maybe 10min a day.  

• Like 2

We're using Apples and Pears as well, and I really like it thus far. It breaks down words into their parts, which is all kinds of good for our boy. He can effectively memorize a list of words, but doesn't carry that over to other writing. Also, it is strengthening his reading ability - he is 9yo and we had him screened for dyslexia, among other things. The gal that did the screening said he had a sight word vocabulary of a sixth grader - however, that leaves him high and dry when he encounters something new and doesn't know how to break the word apart so he can sound it out properly. 

Apples and Pears is great for spelling, and great for reading too.

• Like 1

I have used Spelling Plus and Sequential spelling for adults.  Both programs I used as a word list.  I had my child use a white board and spell words that I dictated to him until he came to one word that he couldn't spell.  That word was written on a word list.  We continued in this vein until we had 5 words in the word list.  The next day, he would copy those words and then we would add five more.  He would continue to add words until he had 15 or 20 words and then he would copy them (I taught study methods) every day until he was ready for a test.  Word missed would be added to the new spelling list.  Works pretty well.  I think I have more intuituve spellers, though.  After they really started reading harder books, spelling started to be more natural (about 11-12 years old).  I've done this with my oldest three boys now, and while they aren't perfect spellers, it has worked well.

Becky