Menu

Musical Theater

Well, you could move on to the other Rodgers and Hammerstein classics:

Oklahoma

The King and I

Cinderella

State Fair

Flower Drum Song (one of my favorites when I was a kid)

South Pacific (currently in a Tony-winning revival on Broadway)

Then you could do some other classics from the "Golden Age":

Annie Get Your Gun

On the Town

Kiss Me, Kate

West Side Story

Fiddler on the Roof (okay, a bit later, but still . . .)

And, of course, there are a lot of more contemporary shows that are popular and fun: Hairspray, Wicked, lots of Sondheim stuff. And all the Disney adaptations, some of which are good.

One note of caution: Not all musical theatre is as "innocent" as Sound of Music. "Mature" themes can be hiding in even older classics. If your daughter is young and/or you have strict standards for content, it's always a good idea to do some research before buying tickets.

My brother is six years younger than I am, and thoroughly enjoyed my discovery of Les Miserables. Grade six and he knew the lot almost by heart :) I assume you've all seen Annie, Oliver and My Fair Lady?

My other favourites are Chess, Martin Guere and Evita. "Chicago" has it's charm, but you can save that until she's broken up with her first boyfriend, lol.

:)

Rosie- Not understanding how anyone can watch Fiddler on the Roof more than once. I cried myself sick!

I agree with the suggestions posted. For Christmas last year, my mom got our family tickets to see Spamalot. We had more fun than I could ever describe. I wouldn't recommend this one for most 8 year olds (unless he has three older brothers and has been listening to the soundtrack for 2 years) but mine enjoyed it on his own level, the more adult stuff flew over his head.

Wicked is another favorite here, of the newer musicals. Again, not for young kids.

As far as the standards go, my kids (though the older ones might not readily admit to it right now) loved South Pacific and My Fair Lady.

Some good ones:

Joseph and the Technicolor dreamcoat

Wicked (definitely)

Annie

Oliver

Guys and Dolls

South Pacific

The King and I

Phantom of the Opera

Le Mis

Beauty and the Beast

And there are a lot more out there. Having a son of theatrical bent, I was launched into the wonderful world of musical theater almost 2 years ago, when he joined a large(200 kids, k-12) community children's musical theater group to do Peter Pan (he got the part of Michael, and got to fly!!...it was so fun!). My then 9th grader joined in for the next one, Oliver, and then my 11th grader joined the others to do Joseph. Very fun. They will doing Music Man this fall and Wizard of Oz in the spring. It's a strangely addictive thing, but there are so many great songs! Have fun!

Kayleen

My DS8 and DS5 especially love Annie, Oliver, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. They request those CDs all the time and we often rent the videos.

My other favorites are Fiddler on the Roof, Phantom of the Opera (maybe too dark for your DD), Camelot, Man of la Mancha, West Side Story, Cats, and Chorus Line (too mature for kids).

We go to local productions of musicals at every opportunity. The boys love them!

My dd got very, very upset with the ending in West Side Story. SHe says that she wishes that she had never seen that movie. However, we have seen most of the other movies mentioned and have loved them. We also love all of Gene Kelly's musicals and Fred Astaire ones.

South Pacific was interesting to watch as my children are Asian in a very non-asian envirornment and have experienced a little prejedice.

It's a strangely addictive thing, but there are so many great songs! Have fun!

Kayleen

. . . how it gets into your blood, isn't it?

I've got two theatre geeks. Between them, they've done 14 shows in the last four years (not counting my son's ballet things or our church Christmas pageants). And I'm pretty sure I've memorized the soundtracks for all of them!

My dd got very, very upset with the ending in West Side Story. SHe says that she wishes that she had never seen that movie.

Hmmm. I'm guessing she's never seen Romeo and Juliet, then, huh? One of my favorite things to do is to watch West Side Story right after seeing/reading R&J. At least in the musical, one half of the couple survives.