Menu

How far in Jacobs Alg to be considered 'finished'...finding conflicting answers

We are following the DrCallahan schedule for Jacobs Algebra.  It shows chapter 16 & 17 as optional.  I was reading elsewhere that anything after chapter 13 is optional.  Chapter 13 was quadractic equations.  So ch 14 is easier technically.  

Anyone have an opinion on how far to get in Jacobs Algebra to count the course as finished?  Through ch 13?  Or 15?  Or other option?

I was curious and checked the table of contents for Jacobs online,

AoPS and Foerster include the content from 15 and 16. Inequalities is a fairly standard algebra 1 topic, I think, so I wouldn't want to leave that out.

AoPs also includes material that looks like what is in chapter 14, but I would have to compare Foerster and Dolciani to see about those. Don't know about chapter 17.

Thanks! I guess I am going to have him get through 15. Follow the syllabus. Lol.

Not using this with Dd.

I'm curious why you won't use it with your dd?  I'm just moving into Alg for next year and this was recommended to me by the teacher for Liberty Tutorials.  I spoke with her at a local curriculum fair and she thought it would be a good fit for him.  I would love to know what you liked or didn't like about it.

It was challenging. My kids are working ahead of their grade level, but do not love math. They do fine, but lack confidence. Jacobs challenged my son, but at this point I don't think pushing was in the best interest of my son. I was afraid he would be bored if we did a second prealgebra year. But the struggle to push through the mental challenge is clearly a maturity issue.

My Dd will be 12 just before school starts. She is very sensitive to situations that she feels incapable. She is great in math, but I have decided to try an easier program for algebra to build her confidence and she knows I may then have her try Jacobs or other harder program for a second year of algebra.

In hindsight I don't know I would have made a different choice for my son. I knew he could do it, but the whining was awful. However, he has learned to push through challenge. I can't take any more whining, and Dd would not argue, but cry. And I can't imagine trying to talk her through that drama lol.

So the choice to do something else is mostly based on personality.

Gotcha! Thanks for the information. My son is young, too. I was looking at Foerster's, but the tutor thought Jacobs would be better for his age. She did say it was hard, though!

My son is 10 and we're just wrapping up chapter 3 in Jacobs.  I think it's a good choice for my son.  So far, it's been a good review of Pre-A with the exception of the functions/graphing.