Menu

What exactly is "physical science"?

I'm probably making this way too complicated for myself, I know, but....

When looking at a long term high school plan for my rising 9th grader, I'm not sure what the best science sequence should be. I'm probably going to have her do Biology next year (either Miller Levine or CK-12, with corresponding lab kits) but then, what should I do for 10th grade? Go right into Chemistry, like I did in high school? Do a year of Astronomy, like WTM recommends? Or should I do a year of "physical science" like I've seen in programs like Bridget Ardoin or Pearson, etc? And what, exactly, is Physical Science. It's not Physics, I'm assuming.....

And, to make it more complicated, some of these websites recommend doing Physical Science in 9th grade and then progressing into Biology and Chemistry in 10th and 11th grades, leaving Physics for 12th grade. 

My dd is more arts and language interest-led. I doubt she'll pursue a STEM type career, so I'm not looking for super-charged AP level science. But I want her to have a proper, secular, and complete high school level science education. So, what sequence would be best for her? She is just finishing up Saxon Algebra 1 this year and will start Saxon Algebra 2 next year for 9th grade. For science this year, we did CK-12 Middle School Physics (but without a lot of lab work... the labs she did at her enrichment program were more biology based). 

What would you recommend for a 4-year science sequence for us? 

TIA. :)

Physical science is a pre-chemistry/pre-physics course, or at least the one I have is. I am pretty sure it is usually studied in 8th grade as preparation for high school sciences. If you didn't do it in middle school, I would think it would be perfectly fine to just skip it and go right into the regular high school science courses.

• Like 1

Honestly I wouldn't do 9th grade physical science for someone who just did middle school physics.

I'd probably end up doing bio, chem, phys, and leave the senior year free for an elective of choice, since her math is advanced enough to support that. There are a lot of electives and by senior year she might have a better idea what she wants to study, or decide to attempt an AP science in order to have more time in college.

• Like 2

We are covering physical science in 8th grade (like you did) and we will do environmental science in 9th, biology in 10th, and then probably continue with chemistry then physics. Oak Meadow is updating their environmental science course and I was told it would be hopefully ready for this September.

• Like 2