Menu

College Credit for SAT II tests

I did a quick search and didn't see this as a topic - so forgive me if it's been explored already.

It turns out that Dd will need to show that she "would have" been accepted - at least has all the exams necessary to be accepted in a similar program for one of the schools where she's applying.

So I was looking at Georgia Tech and happened upon this - that it appears that they will give credit for a couple of SAT II tests - Chemistry and English...(besides credit for AP exams)

Here's the page - GT Catalog : Tests Scores SAT II

Perhaps people have found this with other schools? I post this more for others as it might be useful...

I haven't seen them used for credit, but I have seen them used for placement purposes.  Is actual acceptance not enough?  Dd was accepted to several schools for which she did not have all the "necessary" exams.

I started the thread more for others as I'd not known you could ever get credit for SAT II's...

In dd's application, it asks if there are any exams required in schools that are similar - so I chose one that is similar in rank  since the US is all over the place with university selection. One of the higher ranked similar ones required more sats (well one more in science) - that dd doesn't /won't have....

• Like 2

I started the thread more for others as I'd not known you could ever get credit for SAT II's...

In dd's application, it asks if there are any exams required in schools that are similar - so I chose one that is similar in rank  since the US is all over the place with university selection. One of the higher ranked similar ones required more sats (well one more in science) - that dd doesn't /won't have....

If there are other similar schools which don't require additional exams, I would answer "no".  Similar doesn't necessarily mean rank.  If it's a LAC, then it could mean other similar sized LACs.  They're trying to equate what they have in their country to what is done in the US and it just doesn't work the same way.  I think less info may be better than too much info.  A school requiring a science SAT is likely more STEM focused (although there are exceptions) , which would make it not similar to the one she applied to, and you can honestly answer "no".  Only STEM heavy schools, or very selective ones, will require an SAT II specifically in a science.

• Like 1

If there are other similar schools which don't require additional exams, I would answer "no".  Similar doesn't necessarily mean rank.  If it's a LAC, then it could mean other similar sized LACs.  They're trying to equate what they have in their country to what is done in the US and it just doesn't work the same way.  I think less info may be better than too much info.  A school requiring a science SAT is likely more STEM focused (although there are exceptions) , which would make it not similar to the one she applied to, and you can honestly answer "no".  Only STEM heavy schools, or very selective ones, will require an SAT II specifically in a science.

Well actually, for this program it is a stem school :-) so I was comparing Tech schools. She's gone all over the place with her applications once she couldn't do the one program, going in completely different directions and will decide once she has all the real options in hand. Like one program she already dismissed because she heard that it was full of "sharks" :-).