Menu

Sally Hansen Miracle Gel?

Cottonwood

Wondering if anyone has used it, and if the claims are true?   I never did the 'gel' polish thing at the salon because of the hassle of soaking off the polish, using the light, etc.  But this promises  easy removal, no light and up to 14 days 'color and shine'.  I estimate for me that means that I will, in fact, get 14 days of color and shine, though it will likely be super chipped by around day 10. lol  Or will it?  I WANT to believe it will give me a nice manicure for longer!  But I haven't pulled the trigger yet b/c I'm not sure.

So you have to buy the bottle of color for around 7.99 to 8.99 (around here) plus the bottle of top coat for the same price.  I would be willing to buy this polish, one color at a time now and then, if it was all that much better than my typical polishes.   If not, I'll stick with my OPI favs for that kind of price.  Also wondering how long it lasts in the bottle.  I hate spending a ton of $ per bottle only to have it get thick and unusable in a month or two.  

Reviews?

I have used it and it lasts longer than regular polish without chipping, but not as long as the soak-off gel polish does.  I find the colour range a bit too limited for my liking, and of the colours they do have, there are very few I'd want to wear for two weeks straight.  So far, my favourite is Wine Stock, which is a plum-ier take on Essie's Wicked -- a classic dark wine. Close second would be Dig Fig, which is a muted deep red/rust and is almost a dupe for OPI's Skyfall. 

It lasts well enough in the bottle, but do close it between coats as it goes a little thick the longer you take to put on a coat.  Application is very much like regular polish otherwise.  It has the SH wide brush, which I like, so that's a bonus and speeds up the application process.  You do have to wait a while after colour to put on the top coat because the colour drags off very easily with the top coat.  Use a thicker layer of top coat and don't wipe the brush on the nail too much to get best results with no streaking in the colour. 

If you're ever looking for tons of beauty product reviews from real people... Make-Up Alley is fantastic.  I always go there first for reviews.  There are quite a lot of reviews on the SH Miracle Gel, with a mix of pros and cons. You do have to register to read and post, but it is free.

I like it. I use the Ulta coupons to get stuff 3.00 off. Still expensive, but it does last much longer for me especially with gardening and swimming daily in the summer.

I agree about the limited colors, but I don't own many to begin with so it doesn't bother me much.

ETa: I didn't buy the gel top coat. I just used the diamond hard top coat I already had. No problem.

I can't compare to the salon stuff bc I have never had the salon gel manicure.

• Like 1

Thanks, ladies.

Audrey..makeupalley!  Of course!  I go there all the time for makeup reviews.  WHY didn't I think to go there for the polish?  Thanks for the reminder.

I think I"m gonna try it out.  

Martha, so you don't use the gel top coat?  I might try that to begin with too.   I'm pretty hard on manicures, but we'll see how long I can get it to last :)

• Like 1

When you say it didn't work, do you mean they chipped or that it was the same as other polishes?

Oddly, my DD14 cannot keep any polish (so far) on her nails more than 3 day or 4 days with it slipping right off.  She swears she has 'oily nails'. LOL  She even wipes them down with vinegar and other things that are supposed to prep the nails.  Curious about this polish on her, too.

If your dd has trouble keeping polish on, she should be sure to follow this procedure:

Wash hands thoroughly with a dish washing liquid.

Buff nails very lightly.

Wipe each nail with a cotton pad lightly soaked with polish remover.

Let nails air dry for 5 minutes.

Then apply one coat of a good base coat (Essie makes a couple of good ones, or OPI all-in-one, or OPI Nail Envy).  Apply 2 thin coats of polish (3 if it's pale and you need more opacity). Finally, seal with a top coat (OPI all-in-one is good, or if you want a fast dry Seche Vite is my fave).

ETA:  I know SH Miracle Gel says you don't need a base coat, but you should always use one, especially with dark colours.  It WILL stain your nails without a base coat.

• Like 3