Menu

Road Trip Across the U.S. and Canada

SeaConquest

We're thinking about selling our sailboat and buying a 5th wheel. We'd like to spend about 18 months doing a trip around the U.S. and Canada. We would leave in early Spring from San Diego and head North to the Western coast of Canada by early Summer, then head East to be on the East coast by late Summer, and South of the Mason Dixon by November. We would Winter in the Southern U.S., and make our way back West to San Diego by Summer.

If you were to do an epic road trip like this, what places would be on your list to visit? Any interesting, off-the-beaten path ideas?

If you decide to come up either 101 or I 5, let me know. We have a beach house on 101 and live in a mountain house an hour or so off I-5.

As for things to see, we have hit up the National Parks system for years with Ds road tripping across the U.S. With the extent of only one isolated, highly negative Junior Ranger program, they were all beyond wonderful.

Is there a reason you would choose not to sail along the coast? Our family has really done the road trip thing a lot, so the sailing thing is our big dream. It might just be the opposite for you, but I am curious.

• Like 1

We're thinking about selling our sailboat and buying a 5th wheel. We'd like to spend about 18 months doing a trip around the U.S. and Canada. We would leave in early Spring from San Diego and head North to the Western coast of Canada by early Summer, then head East to be on the East coast by late Summer, and South of the Mason Dixon by November. We would Winter in the Southern U.S., and make our way back West to San Diego by Summer.

If you were to do an epic road trip like this, what places would be on your list to visit? Any interesting, off-the-beaten path ideas?

If you come to Seattle send me a PM. I actually know when to shut up in person. I come on here to vent. ;) I'm near the sea and mountains frequently.

I've heard the caves in Mt. St. Helens are pretty amazing.

But we'll be away in August, going camping in warmer, hotter, drought-ridden climes. Early August I hope to get some canning done, though, so if you're nearby I'll teach you to make Seattle blackberry pie.

If you're sailors, you can take a charter to the deep sea and fish in the summer and get so much salmon you will wish you spent your life doing it. You will wish you were a black bear. You might see whales and seals. You may be able to get it smoked locally. I think there's a Geoduck festival somewhere but I can't remember where. I had geoduck chowder and geoduck ice-cream!

Folklife is a fun festival up here. Bumbershoot is a huge waste of $ as it's too busy, but if you're going I-90 across the north, if you can catch a concert in the Gorge, even if it's raining and pouring all day, do it. We saw so many great concerts there when I was young. I saw Sting there. It's mind-glowingly gorgeous.

Also the Shakespeare festival in Ashland is amazing, I hear, but it wouldn't fit your schedule.

Powell's books in Portland is probably one of my favorite urban sites in the entire world.

And of course, feel free to visit the center of the universe, eat pelmeni, and go on a vodka tasting tour.

Don't pay for the Space Needle. Ride the elevator up the Smith Tower.

That nasty gum wall was invented by and for tourists, but if you are a Bruce and Brandon Lee fan, go pay respects.

The best part about Seattle is the house parties, the fish, the berries and the trees so please stop by. I'll take off work. ;) Better yet... well, I can't say. I'll give you the outsider tour.

• Like 2

NOOOOO, don't do it, don't get rid of your sailboat and become land lubbers!

Just kidding, that is my feeling about being ready to move onto a sailboat.  We have sailed a lot on the East Coast but all shorter trips.  We sold our boat before dd was born and are now holding out for something large enough to live on work from.

We traveled across country from Alaska to Virginia.  If you can go up and see Alaska in the summer time.  There are tons of places to boondock up there.  You just pull off the side of the road and set up camp.  A book called the Milepost would really be helpful for a trip like that up there.  When we came back from Alaska we hit several of the national parks out west as neither of us had ever seen any of them.

Hope you have a great trip.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that I'll be able to pry the sailboat from my husband. Knowing him, he will just add another toy to our collection. We have sailed quite a bit with the boat -- from Florida, through the Bahamas, and along the Gulf States to TX, then from Santa Barbara to San Diego. My husband has also sailed in Mexico and done boat deliveries up to Northern California.

It's just that sailing with small children kind of sucks, and I would much prefer an easier mode of travel. Plus, there are so many cool places to see that aren't right along the coast, so then you have to schlep the kids inland via public transpo. Not to mention seasickness, weather issues, constant repairs, groceries and laundry via public transpo and dinghy. Argh. It's just a lot of work. It seems so much easier to just park your home in a great destination -- whether coastal or inland -- and then use your truck to get around.

Anyway, it's just an idea that we are kicking around. We are having fun thinking of all the cool places we would go, so I thought I would come here for ideas. Also, I deeply appreciate the generous offers to visit. I really might take you up on them!! And please know that you are always welcome to come sailing if you are in San Diego. :001_wub:  

• Like 1

in australia, the families we camped with were spending a year in camper vans.  that made sense to me; a 5th wheel is large enough and hard enough to handle over long distances.  ie.  i wouldn't want to drive one for 18 months.

and gas costs are way less, too.  

i can't quite imagine crossing Canada in less than two months; we split it and did three weeks east from toronto, and five weeks west from toronto.  (and it wasn't nearly enough time).  i can imagine that going in one direction only, two months + would work out nicely.  last summer we took three weeks on the USA west coast, but we drove thru most of california, as we had spent time there already.

will write more later.

ann