Menu

Who treats ADHD without meds?

There's a story out today (4/22/15) in the Huffington Post Science section called "Have We Taken the Wrong Approach to Treating Kids with ADHD?" It starts with:

Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are often told to be quiet and sit still in the classroom. But new research suggests that letting them move around may actually be a more effective way to help them learn.

The study, recently published in the Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, suggests that physical motion is critical to the way that children with ADHD recall information and solve problems.

• Like 2

There's a story out today (4/22/15) in the Huffington Post Science section called "Have We Taken the Wrong Approach to Treating Kids with ADHD?" It starts with:

See that's the thing that fascinates me.  There are studies out there showing that in fact, at least over a population, ADHD meds do NOT correlate to test score gains.  We've had people say similar things, that their dc actually seemed to learn LESS with meds.  They were more *compliant* yes, but were they actually, definitively LEARNING more?  

I totally, totally agree our kids are NOT statistics.  But it's one of those nagging things in the back of my mind, that reality that you could squash out the way they function and squash what actually makes things connect in their brain.  I don't know.  We also have a lot of stories singing the praises.  It's just something I've considered, these studies showing that, at least for a population, the results don't change, that it just makes them easier to work with.  

• Like 3

See that's the thing that fascinates me.  There are studies out there showing that in fact, at least over a population, ADHD meds do NOT correlate to test score gains.  We've had people say similar things, that their dc actually seemed to learn LESS with meds.  They were more *compliant* yes, but were they actually, definitively LEARNING more? 

I just came across an intruiging 2005 study out of UT Dallas that found amphetamine helps with aural rehabilitation in adults who are hearing impaired. I emailed the professor whose name was on the study to see if she was aware of any follow-up research on the topic (I couldn't find any doing a general search). I've been working with DD2's psychiatrist to figure out the best medication(s) and if keeping the Ritalin might provide a pharmacological boost to the aural rehab, it's definitely a big plus in its favor for us.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Avoid Potential Allergens

Diets that restrict possible allergens may help improve behavior in some children with ADHD.It’s best to check with an allergy doctor if you suspect your child has allergies. But you can experiment by avoiding these foods:

• chemical additives/preservatives like BHT and BHA
  • milk and eggs
  • chocolate
  • foods containing “salicylates†like berries, chili powder, apples and cider, grapes, oranges, peaches, plums, prunes, and tomatoes

Consider a Yoga or Tai Chi Class-Some small studies indicate that yoga may be helpful for people with ADHD. Some early studies suggest that tai chi also may help improve ADHD symptoms. Researchers found that teenagers with ADHD who practiced tai chi weren’t as anxious or hyperactive. They also daydreamed less and displayed fewer inappropriate emotions when they participated in tai chi classes twice a week for five weeks.

Few Strategies for Controlling ADHD Without Medication:

• Behavior therapy and medication: Parents learn how to give instructions that boost the child’s self-esteem and self-control using reward systems, structure, and time outs.

Parent management training: PMT helps parents learn how to handle their children’s behavior, often with positive reinforcement and carefully conditioned punishments for bad behavior.

Self-verbalization: A child vocalizes his or her plans and decisions in order to control behavior and understand consequences.

Contingency management: This is an intensive version of behavior therapy, where a child learns behavior modification through rewards and loss of privileges.

Education about ADHD: Knowing more about any condition is always one of the best ways to better approach and treat symptoms.

Physical exercise with and without relaxation training: Regular exercise helps the brain release chemicals like dopamine, which boosts attention.

Working memory training: This approach helps children with ADHD by training the memory system to retain and utilize information for longer periods of times and with more efficiency, which is often one of the main problems with children with ADHD.

I am convinced now more than ever that a newly diagnosed child with ADHD should visit an OT and have their developmental motor evaluated, looking specifically at the STNR, ATNR, and spinal galant reflexes and possibly seeking a sensory evaluation by an SIPT.  Once developmental motor and sensory are proven to be normal, then proceed to whatever ADHD treatment seems prudent for the child and family.  

• Like 2

We tried meds but dd refused to take them because they made her stomach hurt. She is extremely thin, so we couldn't risk having her lose weight from the tummy issues. We tried 3 of them. The first was fabulous because for the first time in her life, she could hold onto a thought long enough to act on it; the second was horrible for her moods and made her depressed (she went from Tigger to Eeyore), and the third didn't do much either way. If not for the tummy issues, we would have tried a higher dose of the third.

What works for dd is keeping her busy and having low expectations for her ability to pick up after herself. She is an Irish dancer who has about 10 hours of class per week plus performances and competitions. When the studio was on break over Christmas, her ADHD was raging and we realized that she must keep dancing as long as she lives at home.  :tongue_smilie:

She has discovered a love for baking, so that's another way she can channel her energy to something productive. 

• Like 1