Menu

New to WTM…Question about how to teach SOTW2

Guest jgaume1

Guest jgaume1

Newbie here.

We are going to be starting our 2nd year of homeschooling in the fall.  Last year we used Sonlight.  Overall I did like it, but have since found WTM.

I plan to use SOTW2.  I have the book and the workbook.  I will be schooling a 10 and 7 y/o with a 5 and 4 y/o listening.  I have gone through the workbook and picked our extra reading selections and came up with A LOT of books….135 to be exact.  We LOVE books.  I love books.  I have been through the list over and over and just can't cut anything.  Crazy?  I don't mind if we don't finish in 9 months time.  But is this just over kill?

How many extra books are "normal?"

Newbie here.

We are going to be starting our 2nd year of homeschooling in the fall.  Last year we used Sonlight.  Overall I did like it, but have since found WTM.

I plan to use SOTW2.  I have the book and the workbook.  I will be schooling a 10 and 7 y/o with a 5 and 4 y/o listening.  I have gone through the workbook and picked our extra reading selections and came up with A LOT of books….135 to be exact.  We LOVE books.  I love books.  I have been through the list over and over and just can't cut anything.  Crazy?  I don't mind if we don't finish in 9 months time.  But is this just over kill?

How many extra books are "normal?"

If you have the time, money and inclination to read 135 books on the middle ages, go for your life. :lol:

We'll be starting SOTW2 in a few weeks. I don't add in many extra reading suggestions. I do use the map work and colouring pages, and I add in Horrible histories clips.

Do remember that you will have time to play with this period of history again, and that your three younger kids aren't going to remember much. Keeping that in mind helped me keep a reign on my spending. :)

We get our extra books from the library and with my 2 kids it can vary from two to eight books a week (with 6 being the average). So over 36 weeks, that's somewhere around 200 history books. With that age gap, 135 books sounds very reasonable for the kids to read/be read to. Cost-wise, I'm hoping you're planning to borrow those books. I can't imagine spending that much on supplemental reading.

Ruth

It depends on the books. If they are short books or picture books that's fine but if they are longer books then it will be a lot BUT if you can do it go for it! Next year we are doing ancients with my 10yo and 9yo. We aren't doing nearly that amount of books. The books we are doing are longer books like Iliad, Odyssey, Bronze Bow, Golden Goblet, Gilamesh etc. It will be about an hour a day of reading plus some SoTW and the online self paced veritas history. I would love to be able to read more though! 

We check out (from the library) many of the suggested books from the teacher's guide.  I have a library book basket where I keep them all.  Every day, the kids read the SOTW chapter and then later in the day, we have a period of time for history reading, where they can pick any of the history books that correlate with the chapter we just read, are reading, or will be reading in the next week or two.  

We don't do many of the extra activities in the guide.  We DO the maps...all of them.  I also created a timeline and we add timeline figures from History Through the Ages as we go along.