Menu

Sudden fear of family dog in a young child

AimeeM

While I was at my mother's (out of state), DH was working, so we boarded Obi (our 8 month old GSD) with his trainer. 

When we came home, his trainer brought him back to the house. He was excited of course, and is notorious for "rear-end awareness issues" (as his trainer calls it, lol). 

Marco (DS2) was standing next to me, and Obi went to turn around, sit down, and bumped Marco right into the cabinets. Not super hard; Marco had a little bump from the knock-down, but he's had far worse injuries (generally self inflicted - he has a climbing and jumping obsession).

Since then, Marco screams and jumps into my arms when he sees Obi :( It's hard to watch... they were great friends. In fact, I referred to them as "double trouble" and "partners in crime" - Marco could often be found "helping" Obi eat an ice cream cone or "helping" Obi "sip" juice from one of their juice pouches.

This isn't a "fake cry" or scream. It's his "I'm terrified" scream - generally only heard when he sees a spider. 

Is he going to get over this? He can't possibly remember the incident specifically, but that makes it worse - he just suddenly feels scared of Obi.

Our trainer is going to work with Marco and Obi next time she comes (we need two adult hands - one to make sure Obi doesn't get over excited and break from command, and one to hold Marco since he won't get down near Obi).

My 2 year old recently became scared of the dark. He won't even go in his bedroom during the day if the light is off even though it's not very dark. Dark has never bothered him in the past. Part of the sudden fear may be developmental.

• Like 2