Menu

scholarship search

bettyandbob

I'm trying to help high school junior who is not my child. She has good grades, but is behind schedule on taking ACT/SAT tests.

Is there a site where you can input characteristics that will help match you with scholarships to apply for? Characteristics might be religion, major area of study/career focus, volunteer activities. One of the things I was hoping to find were scholarships for children of cancer survivors/patients.

Any ideas where I should look?

There are such scholarships out there for children of cancer patients, but not all are "advertised" where you might think.

Search for the "type of cancer" and "scholarship" to find any that might not show up in scholarship search engines. 

Here are some sources of cancer scholarships.

http://ulmanfund.org/scholarships/

This page is old, but it may help. There are some scholarships for children of patients in the section listed for patients.

http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/cancer.phtml

I found there are more scholarships for breast cancer than other cancers. Another limitation, is some scholarships are limited to students who were of a certain age when the parent was diagnosed. 

Thanks for taking the time to help this student.

If she has a good GPA and any chance at a good ACT/SAT score, she needs to do that ASAP. That is where the biggest pot of money is, and the priority deadlines can be quite early - we've seen as early as October, so a June date would leave room to retake it in September if needed (with no guarantee that the scores would be in by mid-October, although they usually are). 

I'm going by ACT dates bc that's what I'm familiar with. She should also decide which one she wants to take - there's really no reason to take both, and taking one lets you focus your prep time. 

Spend a lot of time on diycollegerankings.com learning about building a good list of schools with good financial aid potential.

You are statistically better off going for high SAT and ACT scores to qualify for merit aid and applying to schools with strong financial aid programs than you are writing lots of scholarship essays.  This is especially true if the student is not well off and is admitted to a school that meets financial need. The scholarship essay prize will often simply be deducted from the need-based aid at these schools.