Menu

When do I need to start keeping records?

Looking ahead here and I have some questions:

Dd11 will be starting Algebra sometime within the next year--does that mean I need to start keeping records? I live in a low-regulation state and haven't really bothered with record keeping in the past, but I keep hearing about how important it is for high school. While high school is still a little ways off, I'm thinking maybe I need to start keeping formal records when we start high school level math. Would that be right? (Even if I never need Algebra 1 records, I'm sure it would be good practice!)

How do you keep records? What needs to be kept? Does this mean I need to start giving tests and grades? (I imagine the answer is yes, I'm going to post a separate question about that.)

TIA for sharing your experience and wisdom :)

There are some really good record keeping threads in the stickied posts at the top of the high school forum.

What you might start with is copying the title page of the book (note the copyright date, publisher and ISBN if they aren't on that page) and table of contents.  That will help you remember what you covered for algebra 1.

I would start to give tests.  It helps the student get ready for classes where quizzes and tests are required, it can help with retention and it also does give you a basis for assigning a grade.  Some courses come with chapter tests as part of the book (ex. Saxon).  Others might require you to write your own tests.  Some people give only one test for the whole course (or one a semester).  [Regentrude has some posts that describe the tests she has given at the end of a course.]

Grade the tests not only on getting the right answer, but also on showing work (with a drawing or diagram if appropriate).  You can save the tests to have as a work sample later on if needed.  Or just to give you reassurance that you weren't imagining that you did algebra way back when.

It might also be useful to write a short course description that details what was covered in the course.  It is easy to procrastinate doing course descriptions, but if you need them in a hurry down the line, you will be glad you put some work into it.

There are also a number of threads discussing whether or not to grant credit and use in a gpa coursework done before 9th grade.  (I've found it useful to look at what local area schools do with early high school work.)

Welcome to the high school mix.

• Like 1

Thank you Sebastian, that explanation was very helpful. I can certainly scan title pages and create a file on the computer. I will have to look up some sample course descriptions. I find I have to research and plan a few years out because it takes me awhile to absorb and implement new things.

Sigh. My 11 year old is still very much a little girl, she hasn't hit her adolescent growth spurt yet; she has always been an "old soul" in many ways, but I've been grateful to be able to give her a more extended childhood than she could have had in school. I'm just now realizing that I really won't have many more years with her at home; she turns twelve this year, and fourteen won't be long after that, and it seems eighteen is staring us right in the face. It feels like I am in a plane taxiing down the runway: things seem slow right now, but high school is just up the road and I have to be ready for the acceleration.

If they aren't in high school yet, you don't need to keep copious records.  

I did make a course description (with the main text) and a course syllabus (topics covered, grading policies, additional resources used).  I did calculate a grade (based only on tests), and I did insist on showing all of the work.  So, in a way, yes, we kept records -- but I did not worry about keeping all of the tests, or even keeping all of the grades.  It will simply go into a column labeled "courses taken prior to 9th grade" -- and I'll be done with it. The classes will not be factored into a high school GPA.

Best wishes!

• Like 2