Menu

Copying Math Problems

Homeschooling6

My oldest son is using a combination of MUS & R&S math. R&S Math 4 wants the child to copy the math problem onto notebook paper. Last year I let him write in the book and I am thinking of letting him write in the book this year too.

Am I ruining something here if I do not require him to copy the problem down? Is it better for their brains if they copy the problem on paper?

I know that there is not enough room to work out some of the problems but right now it's just review.

Any thoughts on this? Am I making things to easy by not requiring him to copy his problems?

Just wondering what you all think:)

I don't know if your missing anything. I like the practice of them writing out the problem, I think they notice the details about the problem better that way. I had to remind myself that I couldn't expect a 1st or 2nd grader to do that (I was looking for a 1st grade textbook last year and couldn't find one).

Not being familiar with R&S, I don't know if the instruction (to write on notebook paper) is in the TM or the book. If it is in his book, i think he should do as exercise in following directions. If it is in the TM there is no reason not to let him write in the book since that doesn't bother you (It would make me crazy). Are you going to erase all his work or buy new books when his younger sibs get to that stage?

I don't know if your missing anything. I like the practice of them writing out the problem, I think they notice the details about the problem better that way. I had to remind myself that I couldn't expect a 1st or 2nd grader to do that (I was looking for a 1st grade textbook last year and couldn't find one).

Not being familiar with R&S, I don't know if the instruction (to write on notebook paper) is in the TM or the book. If it is in his book, i think he should do as exercise in following directions. If it is in the TM there is no reason not to let him write in the book since that doesn't bother you (It would make me crazy). Are you going to erase all his work or buy new books when his younger sibs get to that stage?

No, I don't plan to erase. R&S textbooks are pretty inexpensive, so I plan to purchase them again for the younger ones.

The first time I let him write in it last year was a little hard for me but it doesn't bother me anymore;)

I'd say by 5th grade math, you really want the child to begin writing the problems out. Before that, it's really up in the air.

About 1/2 way through an average 5th grade math course, you're seeing a lot more complex work as you begin gearing up for pre-algebra, etc. I've also found that seeing it all worked out helps ME figure out where a child is going wrong.

For example, my oldest is infamous for making really silly math errors... How much is 3+4? (I kid you not). He will have done all of the multiplication correct, and then, when it comes to adding it together there's that, "I can't believe he did THAT" mistake.

My dd is doing a 3rd grade math book this year -- and she's having to copy the problems too. But, they are simple -- it's not too difficult, and I don't make her do more than about 10 simple problems (about 1/3). If she gets them all (or mostly all) correct, showing she gets the concept, we move on. If she shows she's having some problems, we do another set of 10 the following day... so she's never doing tons of writing KWIM?

It's probably not a big deal for your son to write out the problems right now, but you may want to begin working that direction to start getting him used to it.

FWIW, growing up, I was having to write the problems in every grade... no workbooks for math (1st grade and up). And, I had to do *every* problem (not because I *needed* to, but because they wanted to keep me busy :tongue_smilie:)

I'm interested in learning about this too, as the program I'm using is consumable -- Modern Curriculum Press. Maybe it's not an issue, as after 6th grade he'll be using another program anyway and he can always learn to copy the problems then.

Wow! Ds12 has never had to copy out math problems. We've used MUS, Singapore's CWP, and Life of Fred. I would never have thought to make him copy any problems out. He just writes the answers in a notebook for LoF.

I figured that the only reason they don't make the books able to be written in is because the books would be used in subsequent years. It seems like a waste of time to me to write out the problem. But, then, I understand dcjlkplus3's reasoning.

Here, the extra handwriting would probably cause a meltdown. He does plenty of writing in other subjects.