Menu

curriculum other than Sonlight that does a similar cycle?

ktgrok

Bookshark is basically a secularized version of Sonlight, from what I understand.

Yes, I'm looking at it now, plan to drool over it at the FPEA conference. It's just so expensive! But, they may start doing payment plans in the future, so there is that. Or I could just get the guide and buy the books used. 

• Like 1

Yes, I'm looking at it now, plan to drool over it at the FPEA conference. It's just so expensive! But, they may start doing payment plans in the future, so there is that. Or I could just get the guide and buy the books used. 

Back when we used SL I bought the guide and saved significantly buying the books elsewhere.

• Like 1

Have you looked at Build Your Library? Very similar format to Sonlight, but completely secular.

I have, and am highly considering it, at least for K. My concern is that eventually i want to jump to the Catholic Textbook Project books, perhaps, and it would be a bit harder with the way things line up. But, I'm still considering it.  In fact, I may very well get the K guide and try it for a year, and see what I think. I'm just not sure I want to do the 4 yr cycle.

I didn't find the K BYL to be all that impressive. I've never used SL and wouldn't buy Bookshark, but from the samples I've seen of them, BYL is nowhere near the same quality. It's definitely a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing. I was just glad I didn't spend very much on it.

I didn't find the K BYL to be all that impressive. I've never used SL and wouldn't buy Bookshark, but from the samples I've seen of them, BYL is nowhere near the same quality. It's definitely a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing. I was just glad I didn't spend very much on it.

that's not the first time I've heard that. poop. Maybe I'll spring for the guide while it's on sale and then decide. 

Yeah, sorry. I had high hopes, but between the format, typos, and the relatively thin content (even more so than you might expect for K) it just wasn't worth it to make it work. If you can get in on sale big time and you don't mind reworking it? It might be ok. Honestly, though, if you have the time to do that, I'd probably pick up some of the books BYL uses and then add in some of the K pathway on Lesson Pathways to make your own.