Menu

Using the McGuffey Readers

bfw0729

I will be using the McGuffey Readers (First and Second Eclectic - Mott Media) with my kids and wanted your opinions about my approach in using them. I'm new to homeschooling. My kids will be getting pulled out of school (2nd and 3rd grade). 

M - Read vocabulary words.....Then child will read story aloud....do copywork of 3-4 sentences

T - Review vocab words....Read story again (checking for inflection, fluency, use of punctuation, etc...)....dictate sentences from story that include vocabulary words (three to five sentences). I have a separate spelling program so I'm not going to focus too much on spelling through the McGuffey Readers.

W - Read story again (checking for inflection, fluency, use of punctuation, etc...).....have child narrate story and I write it down.....maybe do some copywork of 3-4 different sentences from the story

Th - Read story again....dictate either copywork from M or W or child's narration. 

That's it. Please openly provide me your feedback. I'm not entirely sure if they should be doing copywork from two separate parts of the story or if they should be doing the same copywork on both days (M and W). I really want them to do copywork and dictation as much as possible. 

Thanks so much and seriously look forward to your responses and feedback.

Hi,

Welcome to homeschooling. I hope you and children have a wonderful time learning and growing together.

Here are a couple of random thoughts:

Lots of copywork and dictation is good, but I wouldn't have the kids copy the same passage twice unless it was poorly done the first time. Maybe they could copy consecutive passages, or you choose the Monday passage and they choose favorite part to copy on Wednesday, for example.

I'm having my kids write sentences with the words from the lesson. This can develop into writing longer compositions with the lesson words later on. Also, drawing a picture about the reading, and then writing a caption or a couple of sentences about the picture is another thing you can do.

Giving oral narrations is good and leads into written narrations as you are ready.

All the best. :)

• Like 1

We just use them as a reading supplement. They're not enough that I'd use them as a sole curriculum source for phonics or grammar. Now, add in the syllabary of the Noah Webster Blue Back Speller and we're talking :D

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I especially like someone's input about not using the same copywork twice. I like the idea of using consecutive sentences on the second day or having the kids pick out their own copywork from the story. 

Thanks again and would appreciate any more feedback. 

As for phonics and spelling, I have the Spell to Write and Read curriculum and will use Rod and Staff English for grammar. I also would love to incorporate Grammar Island once a week as a way to dissect sentences and label them as reinforcement. I'm not too keen on the diagramming of sentences through R and S. What are your thoughts? Is it too much?