Menu

Apologia Physical Science and Biology in the same year? Or skip Physical Science? (x-posted)

(Cross posted from Logic/middle grades forum....)

For those who have been through these two courses, could you give me some feedback?

My DS will be in 8th grade in the fall and has always loved math and science.   He's doing pre-Algebra and Apologia General Science this year for 7th grade, and wants to pursue engineering as a career.    Would it be too much to try to take both Apologia Physical Science and Apologia Biology in one year?   Would it be OK to skip Physical Science and do Biology in 8th grade?   

I have reserved a spot at a local class provider for Apologia Physical Science in the fall - very well respected teacher, well respected class provider.    I want to outsource science because it's been difficult to do all of the experiements, and I think the class would be more enjoyable with a group.    

This morning, we visited a "mom-led" co-op that we are considering joining next year.   Both of my kids already have friends in this group, and I would feel comfortable teaching there - it's basically a great fit for our family.  They have a science teacher who will be teaching Apologia Biology in the fall, but not Physical Science.   She's also very well respected, with a background in biochemistry, and several of DS's friends will be in the class.   I spoke to the teacher today, and DS sat in on the class she's currently teaching.   She would have no problem allowing him in the class as an 8th grader, based on his interaction this morning.   This would be a full-blown Biology class with lab, high school credit-worthy.   (DS will be taking Algebra I in the fall as well, so he would have already completed a year of Algebra before going into Chemistry the following year, if we followed this progression.)

So is it too much to try to do TWO outsourced Apologia classes in a year?   Would it be OK to skip Physical Science and go into Biology in 8th grade?   Do Physical Science over the summer?

I think I answered this recently but maybe it was for someone else. Skip Physical Science. Apologia Physical Science is not foundational to doing any future high school science classes. Do Biology in 8th while you have the opportunity to have a great teacher with it.

Do not go back and do Physical Science w/Apologia in 9th unless you have a teacher that is adding a lot to it, because it really is a middle school course. DIVE adds enough math to Physical Science (ICP) to make it high school level. I don't think his course lines up well with the Apologia book though and I don't recommend his internet based course as the reading is at a very adult level and is hard for a high school freshman to understand, although his Apologia syllabus supplemented with internet reading might be ok. 

After Biology, I would just move forward. Go ahead with Chemistry. If his math level isn't up to that (It should be he will be taking Algebra 2 concurrently right?) you could always throw in another science such as Environmental Science that is not math dependent to stall for a year.

• Like 1

Just a quick note - don't most states require a biology w/lab in high school? Make sure that you know what your future plans are with your son. All states are different, but 8th grade courses are usually not accepted for state scholarships, diplomas, etc except Alg I and sometimes Spanish.

Rhrice

Just a quick note - don't most states require a biology w/lab in high school? Make sure that you know what your future plans are with your son. All states are different, but 8th grade courses are usually not accepted for state scholarships, diplomas, etc except Alg I and sometimes Spanish.

Rhrice

I'm not even sure what you mean by this. Most states don't have graduation requirements for homeschoolers. While some colleges will not accept work done before high school, however, many will accept high school classes done in 8th grade. As long as the student continues to do 3-4 years of science in high school, having taken Biology in 8th is unlikely to ever be an issue.

• Like 1

Some states have scholarships for students attending colleges in state, and those students have to fulfill certain graduation requirements just as a student from public school would. I would assume that a student who takes high school biology in eighth grade is going to take AP bio later in high school, though, so it probably doesn't matter. If a student is taking bio in middle school thinking that she is then finished with biology, might that be a problem? That might be something to check on if that's what is planned.

Thank you for the feedback! I did check our state's scholarship program, and they require 3 natural sciences in high school, 2 of which must contain a significant lab. The in-stage universities that he might consider all have the same requirement. That will not be an issue for DS - I am confident that he will want to take either an AP or dual enrollment class in science by the time he's in 11th & 12th grades. This is a kid who LOVES science and can't get enough.

I think we have decided to buy the Physical Science book for him to do over the summer. Then he'll do Biology at the co-op in the fall.

• Like 1