Menu

Bartons Levels Resale

I have a question for those of you who use Barton's Reading and Spelling.  I have read online numerous times that you can resell the levels to finance the next one and by so doing go through the program rather cheaply.  It even says that on the official website.  Yet I have also read that you can't sell/buy except through an authorized dealer.

I am confused as to how this would work, though, seeing as each level requires all the tiles from the previous levels and those are not included and can't be bought separately.  Am I right with that?  And if we resell to {authorized dealer}, she only pays about half of the original cost.  (I called her and spoke directly to her and that is what she told me.)  So going with that option, I would still pay over $100 per level (+$1000 for the whole program) which doesn't seem like "very little" to me.  Am I missing something or not understanding how something works?  I would really like to use this program for my son but am not sure how to make it affordable for us as a family. 

Looking on ebay, there are not a lot of levels being sold.  None over level 3.  Is that because it is technically illegal?  I know that's a lot questions, but I really want to know what I am getting into before I commit myself to something and it seems like there is some contradictory information out there.   :confused1: 

Thanks for your help.   :001_smile:

I have seen levels past 3 on ebay in the last couple months. 

I have also seen them for sale on various lists related to reading struggles/dyslexia, on this forum sale board and elsewhere.

What I have seen suggested regarding the tiles is to buy a 2nd set when you buy new and sell those with the level when you sell it.

However, I have seen (and bought) tiles separate from the level -- but they are definitely not available as often.

I have never seen anything saying it is illegal to resell -- the only related thing I have seen is the thread on this board about someone who bought a pirated copy -- but even that person also bought a level on ebay that Ms. Barton recognized as 'authorized'  (assuming I remember their post correctly). 

• Like 1

I'm ordering levels 1&2 tomorrow.

I listened to/watched a lot of videos on her site today.

It's definitely not illegal to buy/sell used copies.

She does say there's only one authorized reseller on eBay. But she also says on the homeschool audio that she provides support no matter where you buy your levels. I'm not sure if you have access to everything though.

I'm going to buy new. I'm slightly nervous about the resale because I've never resold curriculum or anything else.

I have a question for those of you who use Barton's Reading and Spelling.  I have read online numerous times that you can resell the levels to finance the next one and by so doing go through the program rather cheaply.  It even says that on the official website.  Yet I have also read that you can't sell/buy except through an authorized dealer.

I am confused as to how this would work, though, seeing as each level requires all the tiles from the previous levels and those are not included and can't be bought separately.  Am I right with that?  And if we resell to {authorized dealer}, she only pays about half of the original cost.  (I called her and spoke directly to her and that is what she told me.)  So going with that option, I would still pay over $100 per level (+$1000 for the whole program) which doesn't seem like "very little" to me.  Am I missing something or not understanding how something works?  I would really like to use this program for my son but am not sure how to make it affordable for us as a family. 

Looking on ebay, there are not a lot of levels being sold.  None over level 3.  Is that because it is technically illegal?  I know that's a lot questions, but I really want to know what I am getting into before I commit myself to something and it seems like there is some contradictory information out there.   :confused1: 

Thanks for your help.   :001_smile:

I've sold mine for about 75% of cost. When I order a new level, I order 2 extra sets of tiles with it. That way, I have one to keep, one for my buyer, and one for their buyer. it makes my used modules very easy to sell. That said, some people make the tiles. Sometimes a seller will make tiles and sell the originals, or sometimes a person who buys used will make the tiles.

• Like 1

I sell mine online and have never had an issue. So if I buy new and sell used I end up spending $50-100 per level. Yes that could be as much as $1000 by level 10 but that's for many years of a full remedial language arts curriculum. We go through 2-3 levels per year so that means $100-150 per year which is about what you'd spend for a decent full language arts curriculum for the year anyway. And knowing how much private orton-gillingham tutoring costs that is a deal! 

I do buy a second set of tiles when I buy the new set online, that way I've got all the tiles I need. I didn't realize that at first and made that mistake at first but now I know better :) The tiles are cheap and nicely made wooden ones that last awhile! If I don't end up using them for my younger kiddos I'll just sell them in a big batch on ebay when we're all done with Barton Level 10. 

• Like 1