Menu

Language Arts overload!

Guest TamaraKay

Guest TamaraKay

Can someone please help me? My dd started 2nd grade. We started McPlaid Phonics B, and it seems too simple, so we reverted to ETC (she's on book 4). Will she be missing anything? We also started Writing Strands, but it doesn't seem to be a good fit for us, so I ordered WWE. I think we'll like it, but it also seems to start out too easy for her. My inclination is to double up on the lessons until we get to a point where she is challenged. We are also using: Spelling Power, Wordly Wise, A Reason for Handwriting(transition to cursive) and FLL, which are all working well for us. Are we doing too much? Are we missing something? I ordered R&S English, and didn't like the looks of it, but now I'm thinking maybe I should use it and not try to put LA together myself! I'm so confused at this point I don't know what to do. Any insight is appreciated

Can someone please help me? My dd started 2nd grade. We started McPlaid Phonics B, and it seems too simple, so we reverted to ETC (she's on book 4). Will she be missing anything? We also started Writing Strands, but it doesn't seem to be a good fit for us, so I ordered WWE. I think we'll like it, but it also seems to start out too easy for her. My inclination is to double up on the lessons until we get to a point where she is challenged. We are also using: Spelling Power, Wordly Wise, A Reason for Handwriting(transition to cursive) and FLL, which are all working well for us. Are we doing too much? Are we missing something? I ordered R&S English, and didn't like the looks of it, but now I'm thinking maybe I should use it and not try to put LA together myself! I'm so confused at this point I don't know what to do. Any insight is appreciated

WWE explains how to use the end-of-level assessments for placement. That will help you start at a place that will not be too easy, not too difficult. And if you are using WWE, you won't have to do the writing portions of FLL, so that streamlines that a bit.

Certainly you are not missing anything. I personally would wait on Wordly Wise (that is vocab, right?). And I probably would not have started Spelling Power until my dc was finished with the phonics program (ETC). But, some people do all that you are doing, so YMMV.

HTH a little.

I don't think you are LA heavy, but I may not be the best judge. At this age those are the things I believe need to be focused on. Of course, each child is different, has strengths and weaknesses. Here is what I am using for my 2nd grader in the LA department. We have been using these materials for 2 weeks now and he seems fine with these levels. He still struggles with reading so we spend lots of time on it.

FLL 2 - I still do the copywork and dictation scheduled in this book

WWE Level 1 - my own workbook with read alouds coordinated to fit the copywork, narration and grammar

McGuffey Reader and Phonics Pathways - we alternate these

All About Spelling Level 1

ETC Book 3

Handwriting without Tears - Printing Power

Sketch and Scribe - workbooks that has pictures for him to finish drawing and then write a story

HTHs,

I dont think you need any writing program at that age, and Spelling Power is for ages at least 8 and up. Vocab can certainly wait. Have you read TWTM? She has a simple and doable LA program in there. I like the CM approach of copywork, dictation and narration, rather than all the workbooks.

WWE explains how to use the end-of-level assessments for placement. That will help you start at a place that will not be too easy, not too difficult. And if you are using WWE, you won't have to do the writing portions of FLL, so that streamlines that a bit.

Certainly you are not missing anything. I personally would wait on Wordly Wise (that is vocab, right?). And I probably would not have started Spelling Power until my dc was finished with the phonics program (ETC). But, some people do all that you are doing, so YMMV.

HTH a little.

:iagree: As a Mom of a 9yo ds who is a bit "behind" with writing skills, my advice is not to delay WWE. It is gentle and doesn't take long and won't hurt any first or second grader! I agree with Lana - drop vocab. altogether and drop spelling until you finish Explode the Code.

(BTW, even if you used R&S English, it would only cover grammar and writing - spelling or phonics would be a separate text I think)

I like the CM approach of copywork, dictation and narration, rather than all the workbooks.

:iagree:

That said, we'll be starting a gentle introduction to grammar with Primary Language Lessons in 2nd grade that continues until 6th grade.

I agree to drop formal spelling until you finish ETC. At that age I would have her do 4 pages a day 4 days a week so that you cover 2 lessons per week. If you want to add a little spelling in there, form a simple list using the phonics rule(s) that she is learning in ETC that week.

I also would wait on a formal writing program at that age. I would spend more time reading, reading, and reading some more. I think you will get more benefits from a writing program (even a gentle one) if you spend time building her vocabulary and filling her imagination with words and images and beautiful stories!!!

Just my .02. :D

Guest TamaraKay

Thank you all for your advice. I think I will drop WW, and maybe spelling, at least for a while. Then we can focus on ETC and FLL, and maybe add WWE. This would also give us more time for reading, which keeps getting put off so we can get other things done. I really appreciate the feedback!