Menu

Need easy to implement and somewhat independent Grammar/Writing

pocjets

We are expecting our 8th child in the fall and I need something for English that is easy to implement. This is for my daughters who will be in 4th and 5th grades. I am currently using R&S plus IEW SWI-A. With R&S, I am still going over each lesson with them and then picking what problems I want them to do on the spot. We are using some of the R&S writing and some of the IEW writing. I would rather just do something that is more predictable so the girls can get in a routine. It seems like using a curriculum that combines both writing and grammar is the way to go. Maybe I should just stick with R&S and spend the summer deciding what exercises I want them to do. Then I could drop IEW and use the writing in R&S. 

Other options I'm considering are ABeka, BJU English, and Hake/Saxon (we use Saxon math and love it). 

Any thoughts or suggestions? 

You can't get less teacher intensive than R&S and still have an effective course for this stage, IMHO.

You can find the 10-15 minutes it takes to review concepts, present the lesson, and do the oral drill together (as laid out in the teacher's guide) and then assign the lesson to be worked on independently.

For a busy year, R&S includes sufficient writing instruction, as well. Just do all the lessons. You can add other types of writing when you have more time.

• Like 2

My DS does R&S independently. If he's had trouble with something, we may do the oral drill, but that doesn't happen often. He also only does the odd numbered problems, cutting out the need for me to handpick problems for each lesson. It has worked well for us.