Menu

Second guessing the Memoria Press Special Needs core I bought...

AimeeM

I decided on it because I wanted an all-in-one for DS5 (will be 6 next month; first grade this fall), that could include younger bro (DS2) a bit, as far as read alouds, etc go, and some phonics. I also wanted something that took into account DS5's serious fine motor skill issues and inability (currently) to write at all.

I *love* the core. I've had it on hand now for a couple weeks. The problem? I have already went through it and killed the lesson plans. He is beyond it with phonics, we have our own math, I'm adding in Catholic studies, adding in science (this core's is too light for him), adding in grammar (oral, he enjoys it), etc. 

Ugh. I guess this is mainly a vent. I'm realizing that like my oldest, this kiddo simply isn't an "all in one box" kind of student. His reading and math skills, and his appetite for science, are far ahead of his writing ability. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it. :( I totally agree. I love, love Memoria's read-alouds and enrichment, but the math, phonics, and writing just has never lined up well enough (or looked interesting enough) for them to be a good fit for my kids. I can see using some of the lit guides or content books down the road, but likely never the full curriculum. Hopefully you'll still get some good use out of the core of the program?

Sorry to hear it. :( I totally agree. I love, love Memoria's read-alouds and enrichment, but the math, phonics, and writing just has never lined up well enough (or looked interesting enough) for them to be a good fit for my kids. I can see using some of the lit guides or content books down the road, but likely never the full curriculum. Hopefully you'll still get some good use out of the core of the program?

I'm not sure I will (get any good use out of it). DS2 is content with his R&S preschool books, and I changed everything about the Core. I'm considering selling it, or returning it, and just using their kindergarten read aloud set, craft book, and enrichment, alongside just "do the next thing" in his other subjects.

I do think I'll use MP's Simply Classical (SN) version of their copybook, since it does look it may help with DS5's writing.

• Like 1

Sorry that it won't work for you especially since you love it. I love MP, and have bought nearly complete cores the last two years. However, we don't use their math, grammar, phonics, spelling or much of the science. We also add in Catholic studies and we are working in between two grade levels so the lesson plans serve as little more than a loose guide for us. It's still a good deal for us to buy the core because by the time I buy the subjects I do use, the others are nearly free. They really are a great company to work with and will completely customize a package changing out subjects by grade or completely removing subjects, but if it isn't going to work for you then absolutely return it and get what you need.

• Like 2

I think those early grades, pre K-2, are so hard to do with an all in one curriculum because kids skill levels vary so drastically. I never could have used a full core for my dd before this year, she was too advanced in some areas and right on target in others. For 4th grade, things just kind of all evened out and she fits perfectly into the 4th grade package.

It is such a bummer to find that a big purchase doesn't really work! I've been there and can commiserate with your feelings.

I think I overreacted, lol (as usual).

I'm kind of re-writing the lesson plans... but, at the same time, not really. I'm just moving some things around when I re-type it; accelerating DS5's phonics, adding in more science (my own literature picks) and crafts (I did order the K craft book, since all of the Level 1 read alouds are on the K list as well). So it's more just moving things around, and less "reinventing the wheel".

• Like 1

I know it won't help you now, but they are planning on making the special needs curriculum customizable like the regular core curriculum (I think she said except maybe Level A).  My ds is not nearly as delayed academically as the generic student for which their sn program was written, but in Levels B and C there was enough (especially language, social, and fine/gross motor control) to still make them worth it for us.  However, the focus seems to change in Level 1, at least that is how it looks in the samples.  It seems like there is more focus on academics and less on language, social, fine/gross motor, etc.  I don't use MP's phonics or math (I like what I use and it's working, so why mess with it?), so even if I could customize it now, Level 1 would still be basically useless for me.  After we are done with Level C, I'll just be using the regular K Lit & Science Enrichment instead of Level 1.  It really is a wonderful program, and I think it will be wonderful for a wider range of students once they make it customizable.  I'd love it if you could get lesson plans for individual aspects of the program (like language, social, fine/gross motor, etc), but the way things are integrated (one plus of the program) would probably work against that.