Menu

FAFSA question (just killing curiosity)

I'm not sure, but they say to put your preferred college first....colleges can see where they fall on your list & have been known to adjust their aid because of it. I think that's wrong - there should be privacy regarding that.

I don't know who "they" are...? ha ha!

I have seen advice to list the schools alphabetically.

• Like 2

I don't know who "they" are...? ha ha!

I have seen advice to list the schools alphabetically.

An article I read says this - The FAFSA form itself tells students, “For state aid, you may wish to list your preferred college first.†But it gives students little indication about what else can happen using the list.  

Some colleges do use the information to decide which applicants it will offer financial aid to first.

I don't know - the whole process is frustrating to me.  We are expected to pay 1/3 of our income for college.  Seems crazy to me.

• Like 4

I'm not sure, but they say to put your preferred college first....colleges can see where they fall on your list & have been known to adjust their aid because of it.  I think that's wrong - there should be privacy regarding that.  

this is exactly why I am asking ;)  That just seems like too much pressure.  I hate that this is such a "game".

• Like 2

For state aid, the placement of schools does matter in some cases. For instance, a state school would need to be in the top 3 slots to be eligible for a certain state grant. You would need to find out for your specific state.

The problem with changing the FAFSA for each college (removing one and adding another) is each time you make a change to your FAFSA you stand a chance of being selected for verification. At some schools it's a fairly easy process, and at other schools it's a pain. Also schools can see where you made corrections. So a school may not see that you had Duke for instance in the top slot but they can see that you changed it multiple times.

None of the schools I have worked with have adjusted aid due to placement on the list except in the case of state aid. However, schools have limited resources. A previous school I worked made the decision to focus our attention on the students who put our school in the first 3 slots as we believed those were more likely to attend than someone who put us in the tenth slot. Now if that student reached out to us, of course we treated them the same as any other potential student. But we didn't make the same effort to cold call, send brochures, that kind of thing.

It doesn't have to be a game. Find out what your state aid requires in terms of placement on the FAFSA. And then list in order of preference.

• Like 3