Menu

100 Easy Lessons question

Jen500

Is all the text on each page distracting for some kids? I got this book (Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons) from our library to see if it might work for us. I know many of you have used it successfully with your dc. I like the approach, but all the text and scripts on the pages are distracting for me.

I've used it with 2 of my kids and it's not been a problem. I used it with my oldest who began reading on her own at age 3, but I wanted her to learn some phonics before she advanced much further with her reading. I am using it now with my 7 yo who I am 99% sure is dyslexic (we're in the testing process now), and it's the first reading curriculum that's been effective at all for her.

I used it with both of my kids when they were preschoolers, and neither of them had any trouble learning to read. In fact, I think something about the presentation - all that small text on each page - made my DD feel like she was reading a "grownup" book. She was really proud of being able to read out of that big book :)

SBP

I used it with both of my kids when they were preschoolers, and neither of them had any trouble learning to read. In fact, I think something about the presentation - all that small text on each page - made my DD feel like she was reading a "grownup" book. She was really proud of being able to read out of that big book :)

SBP

Hmmm..I never thought of it that way! Ds is always pretending to read his older brother's books so maybe he'd actually like all the text. Thanks,

The only thing that distracted my oldest son were the pictures! I am teaching my other son now and he does the same thing. I have to cover up the picture with a post-it. If I don't they try to describe the picture instead of trying to read the words!:) Covering up the pictures seems to make them more excited about reading the passage.

Lori

I used this with my youngest. She loved it! It took some getting used to on my part. I ended up modifying it. We did the writing in the air and didn't do as much repetition as the book recommends.

My daughter was VERY motivated by the goofy stories that go with the pictures.

It's definitely worth a try.

Julie in Monterey