Menu

Do you have a long term plan?

I had one. I wrote it when ds was in 3rd or 4th grade.

It has long fallen by the wayside as we've changed our path, interests, etc. over the years. Now I just have a vague plan for following the basics of the California state graduation reqs for ds, and eventually dd, with plenty of room to explore rabbit trails.

Guest zenmom

We have a general idea involving the progression of our chosen curriculum timeline, field trip wish lists, lists of hands on junk, books I want them to read but it is all flexible and able to change as we see a need.

Hubby and I have some strong ideas of the direction we'd like Jrs. education to take. We know where we want him to be at the end of it all but how to get there is a little fuzzy. For now, we only have a strict plan for the pre-elementary years though we have an idea of how we want the elementary years to go also.

Prior to starting school:

Language is very important to us and being multilingual is non-negotiable: We are raising our son bilingual in ASL and English, we are going to add another language via immersion for him soon and would like for him to possess conversational fluency in 2 non-native languages by 13 years old as well as speak English and sign fluently.

Strong literacy skills are important to us and so he's also being brought up in a language rich environment--we read every day as much as we possibly can.  We expose and teach him foundational literacy skills such as letter sounds, syllables, blending etc along the way as we read these books and we hope to nurture a book positive mindset in him since neither Hubby or I liked books as kids or are "recreational readers".

We minimize digital-media for Jr as much as possible. No TV or DVDs for him, no matter how educational they may (appear to) be. This is a part of the pro-literacy campaign we run in our house. Its probably overkill, but one way to guarantee that books and traditional toys are his primary form of entertainment is to not offer him digital alternatives to begin with, so thats what we're trying our best to do.

Mathematically its easy, almost instinctive for me, to incorporate mathematics into his everyday life. We discuss numbers, patterns, shapes and count each day. I observe shapes and patterns with him, I talk about how math is being applied in our everyday life all the time with him. Yes, people look at me like I'm crazy for talking to my toddler about how the cash register is calculating the prices and adds them all up to get a total or has to subtract anything that we changed our minds about but I don't care about that part at all. Their problems are just that--theirs.

• Like 1