Menu

I got my Memoria Press special needs package today!

AimeeM

How is it different from the regular package?

The SN packages target a cognitive or skill level, rather than a grade level, and provide additional support/ideas for a lot of targeted developmental problems.

For example, the Special Needs level 1 is like a gentle regular K program, but *more* than the regular Junior K program, and with additional options for boosting certain areas. DS5 has serious fine motor skill issues, which are making it hard for him to move forward; the Level 1 program uses a special copybook that they made, called Simply Classical copybook 1 for handwriting, and include strengthening exercises in the lesson plans. Some other target areas seem to be the recitation, for speech delays (like DS2), and the enrichment portion is more targeted and a bit *less* than a regular grade level core. There are other differences, but I need to look more thoroughly through the lesson plans, lol.

• Like 2

The SN packages target a cognitive or skill level, rather than a grade level, and provide additional support/ideas for a lot of targeted developmental problems.

For example, the Special Needs level 1 is like a gentle regular K program, but *more* than the regular Junior K program, and with additional options for boosting certain areas. DS5 has serious fine motor skill issues, which are making it hard for him to move forward; the Level 1 program uses a special copybook that they made, called Simply Classical copybook 1 for handwriting, and include strengthening exercises in the lesson plans. Some other target areas seem to be the recitation, for speech delays (like DS2), and the enrichment portion is more targeted and a bit *less* than a regular grade level core. There are other differences, but I need to look more thoroughly through the lesson plans, lol.

Thank you for this description!  I have been looking at this package for my 4year old.  The Jr. K isn't enough, but the K is too much.  

Thank you for this description!  I have been looking at this package for my 4year old.  The Jr. K isn't enough, but the K is too much.  

What about the K is too much? I ask because they do use all of the phonics work in Level 1, that is also used in K; what is "moderated" is the enrichment portion, the handwriting portion, and what is expected verbally, I believe. 

I know, right? I'm kind of sad that I stayed "eclectic" with DD13 - not "all-in-one" box day for her :(

That's one of the hardest parts about having been homeschooling for so many years.  I could feasibly school ds10 & ds13 next year for almost nothing (shhhhh....don't tell my husband ;) ) because I do "technically" own everything that I need for 5th and 8th grades..... in fact the only thing I actually have to buy are replacement workbooks and the next level of R&S English because the other kid that used it stopped at grade 5.

Aimee, I'm so glad that your new books look like they're going to be a good fit.  What a relief that must be for you!