Menu

Kid friendly international trips?

MotherGoose

I'm all for international travel, especially with children, but it's a lot riskier when you're that far along in a pregnancy. Airlines can keep you from boarding your flight if they think the risk is too great even if you have a letter from your doctor and you're in good health. It's also a lot harder to deal with long flights when you're that far along, especially with children.

If you really want to go to another country, I'd probably do Mexico. Short flights, good food, good medical care, and lots of different options depending on what you're interested in.

ETA that I know many, many peole who've flown internationally during their third trimester without trouble, but that's nearly always been for them to travel to another country to have the baby in a safer place with better medical care. The women I've known who've not been allowed to board or nearly not allowed to board were traveling from safer places (or places perceived to be safer) to other countries for leisure during their third trimester. Also, it can depend a lot on how big you get when you're pregnant and how you carry your baby. Some women just look bigger than others when they're pregnant and they can get a lot of questions when they're trying to fly even though they're not risky passengers. In the end, it's always the pilot's decision whether someone is allowed on her plane and she can always choose to not allow a pregnant woman board.

• Like 2

When I was pregnant with my second, I flew from nz to Canada at 30-34 weeks with no problems, just a note from my midwife (that no one looked at) and compression socks. I flew with my 15 mo dd.

I also have a friend who flew from the UK to NZ at 36 weeks pregnant, with no problems. But I wouldn't recommend that.

What's the point of the trip? As in, what are you looking to do? Just having people suggest international travel available while pregnant is a big scope....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Costa Rica is a short flight from many parts of the US. I know several families who have gone with kids, and it has received uniformly positive reviews. I went pre-kids and loved it, but that has been a while. I would not hesitate to go at 7 months, but I had easy pregnancies (but I pay for it with difficult births and colicky infants, just so you know that the pregnancy gods are fair).