Menu

STEM Math for a kid that really doesn't care for math... where to go from here.....

But is good with the Technology part of STEM if that makes sense and wants to go into Engineering Technology.  He's a freshman now doing Algebra 1 Teaching Textbooks.  He does fine, he just doesn't like it, said he wants to do more problem solving.  I'm not 100% sure how I should be preparing him better.  Thanks!

(He's asking for problem solving?  This is where I'd think to myself, "I can fix that"  :))  Get him more problem solving - that will prepare him better.  

I'm not sure what the right problem-solving supplement to TT would be so hopefully others will chime in.  He could start in Alcumus right now and see how it goes (it's free; there are also free videos on the site to help teach him the topics he hasn't seen).  The challenge level might be too different for him, but if he's interested in problem solving and figuring things out for himself with the help of the videos, it's worth a try.

Another option to consider would be to go quickly through a stronger (at least standard) algebra 1 program when he is finished with TT.

• Like 1

I would second AoPS.... my dd#1 used a traditional algebra program in 8th grade and *hated* it with all of the passion a 13 year old can muster... which is a lot. She switched to AoPS that summer and was never happier. Fast forward a few years and she is an engineering major. It may be a good fit for your son, too.

I agree with the others in considering other more rigorous math which develops concepts at deeper levels including problem solving skills like Art of Problem Solving.  Foerster really stands out for practical and challenging word problems.  Dolciani is excellent as well.  Those three would be on my short list.  It wouldn't hurt to pick a few resources to have on hand for supplemental problem solving anyway.  Then if he really likes one better you could easily switch completely out of TT.  Many times folks supplement TT as is does not have the rigor or challenge of other solid programs.  If he is STEM directly and capable, TT could easily bore him if overly simplistic and repetitive.  That could easily make math less enjoyable and more monotonous.

• Like 1

I would agree with Derek about the overly simplistic. I would recommend either AOPS or Foerster -- and what I would really recommend is that he look at the samples of both of them and see which one he likes better. In either case he should probably start at the beginning and work through chapters he understands easily rapidly. Since the chapters are topically organized it is simple to compact.

Whatever you find that works well for him, I'd ask him if he'd be willing to work year round to help bring him up to a better level for engineering.  If he's been bored with math this year, and previous years, he may be able to work longer each day and progress further that way too.  Needing more of a challenge is a much better "problem" to have than if he's doing lighter math because he's been struggling.  It's also easy to fix.  You may also want to consider a conceptual physics course if he hasn't had any physics yet as it will probably be of interest and will give him time to get more algebra and trig before going with a more math heavy course.  He can also learn programming without needing higher math to start.

As for a specific math program, suggestions already given are good and if none of those fit his style, Saxon is great prep for engineers and continues through calculus.  Lots of problems to solve.  Geometry is also integrated into the "older" editions and would allow him to advance more easily.  But the lessons and problems do take a good bit of time each day.  There is no short cut.  I'd also suggest SAT math prep books if he wants challenges, but it might be better in another year or so after he's learned more algebra and geometry.