Menu

Honors Compostion at Wilson Hill --- Reveiw?

Can anyone give me a review of the Honors Composition Class at Wilson Hill Academy?  My son is currently taking an online BraveWriter course and while we like the material he prefers a live teacher component versus the all text format of this course.

I am hesitant to use anything that feels formulaic as he did not appreciate the format of IEW so, although I had considered it Lost Tools of Writing is out.  I'm guessing anything using the Progymnasmata would be ill received as well.  The class at the Potter's School sounds like it has more grammar than I care to incorporate.  I only like grammar as a part of the writing process not to be studied as a separate subject.  WriteGuide, Write@Home and Time4Writing all seem to be text only as well.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do with this STEM boy. Please help.

• 1 year later...

DS took it this past year. I asked him to give me a review. :)

Classes were 1-1/2 hrs twice a week. Homework was about 2-3 hrs per week for him. Everything was graded, and fairly promptly. The interface was easy to use. The class utilized breakout sessions and a chat box. DS thought the teacher, Mrs. Baker, was funny and a good communicator.

Class covered note-taking (briefly), summaries, outlines, paraphrases, paragraph structure, and essays with thesis statements, citations, and MLA formatting. There was some light coverage of grammar. They also kept a commonplace book. I was sent regular emails on the assignments. I got an email this summer with the final grade for his transcript.

DS liked the class and chose to stay with WHA for writing. He is doing the Rhetoric class this year. I have been very happy with the development of his writing skills. There is no way he would do so well for me. :)

• Like 1

My daughter is currently enrolled and it looks fantastic! I was told that the first semester focus is on refining essay writing using the Jane Schaffer writing model and the second semester focus is on persuasive writing. There's also a commonplace journal component that my daughter is excited about.

• Like 1

My daughter is signed up for this year and is in no way excited. (She hates writing.) It looks challenging enough, although honestly, the Fundamentals of Expository Writing class looks scarier.

If anyone else's kid is enrolled and wants to be my PM pal to check in with over the semester to compare/discuss how things are going, PM me. My girl is in the section that has a boy majority!

• Like 1

Thanks so much! I ended up signing her up for it. She was NOT happy to add this to her plate, but I think it will be good for her. She's m/w 2pm :)

Has she done online or outsourced writing before? My soon to be 14 son is taking the 8th grade Fundamentals of Expository Writing. I am a little nervous like RootAnn, because the reading is not what ds would choose to do. He has taken two outsourced writing classes.

Has she done online or outsourced writing before? My soon to be 14 son is taking the 8th grade Fundamentals of Expository Writing. I am a little nervous like RootAnn, because the reading is not what ds would choose to do. He has taken two outsourced writing classes.

No, she never has done any outsourced writing. I have a friend whose son is in the Fundamentals of Expository Writing class and she said it's a large departure from the Great Conversations course he's also taking, but hopefully it will be good for him. I'm hoping the same for this Honors Composition course. We'll see!

No, she never has done any outsourced writing. I have a friend whose son is in the Fundamentals of Expository Writing class and she said it's a large departure from the Great Conversations course he's also taking, but hopefully it will be good for him. I'm hoping the same for this Honors Composition course. We'll see!

• Like 2