Menu

Need Help with my 3rd Grade Language Arts Choices

Hi Everyone,

I am being VERY indecisive when it comes to choosing curriculum for next year.   I could really use some advice when it comes to choosing.

I *know* I want to use the following:

1)   Spelling:    AAS 3, then part of 4.

2)   Latin:   MP Prima Latina

3)  Reading:  Mixture of Sonlight Gr 3 Readers and Classical House of Learning books

4)  Read Aloud:  Sonlight Read Alouds, various history and science books

5)  Poetry:   IEW Poetry Memorization

6)  Penmanship:  Continue to practice cursive through copywork.  Start learning to type.

I am still undecided about grammar and writing.  

Grammar: 

So far I have used FLL for grammar.  (Will complete level 2 this year.)  However, I REALLY like the look of IEW's Fix it Grammar.   The only downside is that IEW doesn't teach sentence diagramming or dictionary skills.  

I already own FLL 3.

So would it be a total overkill to do BOTH FLL and IEW for grammar?  

Or should I just try to supplement IEW Fix It with some sentence diagramming, letter writing, and dictionary work?   If so, what should I use? 

Writing:

I was planning on using WWE 2 next year.   (Except I would use the sources from Write from history as our dictation/narration models.)  

However, I really like some of the skills taught in CAP W&R.   I also like that it encourages a bit more independent writing and creativity at this age.   My only concern is that it seems really light compared to WWE or Write From History.  However, maybe that would be OK?   IEW's Fix it Grammar contains a lot of copywork.   AND, I would be dictating 3 sentences a day in spelling.   So perhaps a lighter writing wouldn't be so bad?  

Any advice or opinions about my choices would be appreciated. 

My dd really has enjoyed CAP Fable so I'm a fan. If I were in your shoes, I would keep going with WWE and buy only the CAP workbook (I feel like the TM isn't necessary especially if you're doing the WWE copywork and dictation) Alternate weeks between WWE and Fable and skip the Fable copywork and dictation. No worries about spreading it out. Who know what our kids will need or what new shiny curriculum will dazzle us next year. ;)

We did something similar for Gr 3: half of WWE 3 followed by CAP Fable. I like the idea of alternating weeks, though!

• Like 1

I've used both. I prefer FLL because it contains systematic teaching of the parts of speech as well as diagramming.

I did not enjoy Fix It as much. I didn't feel it introduced concepts in a logical way. Because it follows the story, some sentences had more advanced concepts in them so we were not always able to recognize what parts of speech were in the sentence. Now, most of the time the teacher guide said to ignore those words or only explain the concept of the student was interested. But those type things bothered me.

I agree that you could use FLL for teaching and add in Fix It. Fix It only takes 5-10 min.

I prefer G.U.M. Which has the student search for parts of speech in excerpts from great literature. It also has the student make corrections to some of the sentences. But it also contains clear teaching and explanations. So I add that in to our grammar time. It's short and simple but it's good practice.

• Like 1

Or you could simplify grammar and writing by doing R&S's third grade English, Beginning Wisely. If you have your dd write her assignments on actual paper instead of doing things orally, there will be *plenty* of writing; it does diagramming; and it includes dictionary skills (and poetry). :-)

Truly, with as many moving parts as you have for spelling and reading and everything else, having grammar and writing all in one place would be quite beneficial.

• Like 2

I agree that you could use FLL for teaching and add in Fix It. Fix It only takes 5-10 min.

I prefer G.U.M. Which has the student search for parts of speech in excerpts from great literature. It also has the student make corrections to some of the sentences. But it also contains clear teaching and explanations. So I add that in to our grammar time. It's short and simple but it's good practice.

Thanks so much!  Could you tell me what GUM stands for?

Or you could simplify grammar and writing by doing R&S's third grade English, Beginning Wisely. If you have your dd write her assignments on actual paper instead of doing things orally, there will be *plenty* of writing; it does diagramming; and it includes dictionary skills (and poetry). :-)

Truly, with as many moving parts as you have for spelling and reading and everything else, having grammar and writing all in one place would be quite beneficial.

Yes, I really am trying to simplify things next year....and cut out redundancy.   So I have really been looking at R&S and CLE a bit and seeing if I could move to one of those options.  

Yes, I really am trying to simplify things next year....and cut out redundancy.   So I have really been looking at R&S and CLE a bit and seeing if I could move to one of those options.  

The reason I would choose R&S is that the children write on actual paper. I don't think you can beat writing on actual paper. :-)

Also, I'm not sure that CLE covers as much as R&S's English series does, things such as oral communication, poetry, and using reference materials.

"Also, I'm not sure that CLE covers as much as R&S's English series does, things such as oral communication, poetry, and using reference materials."

It does, although there may be more poetry in the reading course than in the LA. There is a detailed scope as sequence available as a free PDF at their website that details the main contents of every single LU in every grade if you are unsure about what will be covered.

My oldest has now done 4, 5, and is in 6 and has done all of these things. Even my DD using 2nd is working on the first.

"Also, I'm not sure that CLE covers as much as R&S's English series does, things such as oral communication, poetry, and using reference materials."

It does, although there may be more poetry in the reading course than in the LA. There is a detailed scope as sequence available as a free PDF at their website that details the main contents of every single LU in every grade if you are unsure about what will be covered.

My oldest has now done 4, 5, and is in 6 and has done all of these things. Even my DD using 2nd is working on the first.

It's a little tricky figuring things out, since the Language Arts Light Units include spelling, while R&S's spelling series is separate. :-) R&S still looks more comprehensive to me (I have R&S's scope and sequence), but if it works for you, it works for me. :-)