Menu

Foresters vs Jacobs Algebra 1

Agree with Silvermoon, they're both excellent choices.  Which will fit best depends a bit on the student and what elementary/prealgebra they're coming from.

Jacobs starts off gently and gets more difficult in the second half.  A good portion of the learning in Jacobs occurs within the set of exercises, a bit of guided discovery, so to speak, i.e., the exercises very gradually and incrementally lead the student to something deeper (I'll probably have to come back to reword this, but I need more coffee).

Foerster is more challenging, a little drier in style, has more word problems, and includes a few additional challenging topics that are not included in Jacobs.

• Like 2

What type of learner do you have when it comes to math?   What approach has worked best in the past?  Have you looked at them both yet?  

Another way to help decide is to pick them both up and have you and your dc look them over.  Both are relatively inexpensive on the used market.  Having more than one resource is also beneficial when wanting supplemental materials.  Sometimes having another way of explaining a concept can help when a child just isn't getting things in the spine program.  Or they may just need extra practice problems before moving on.

I ordered both and chose Foerster. It just seemed to suit me and my daughter better. I teach the lesson using the example problems on a white board, we do the oral practice together and the problem set she does on her own.

Now that I think about it..., the Jacobs book I bought was in poor condition and smelled musty and the Foerster was like new. I think perhaps the physical condition of the books had something to do with my decision.

• Like 1

What type of learner do you have when it comes to math?   What approach has worked best in the past?  Have you looked at them both yet?  

Another way to help decide is to pick them both up and have you and your dc look them over.  Both are relatively inexpensive on the used market.  Having more than one resource is also beneficial when wanting supplemental materials.  Sometimes having another way of explaining a concept can help when a child just isn't getting things in the spine program.  Or they may just need extra practice problems before moving on.

No. Lol. Good luck finding a readable copy of Jacob's for less than $100 - it's out of print and ridiculous now.

No. Lol. Good luck finding a readable copy of Jacob's for less than $100 - it's out of print and ridiculous now.

Wow, I had no idea the price shot up that much.  That's crazy expensive for that old book!  I did a quick search and found one for $60 (with CDN exchange rate).  But that's still too expensive, IMO.  When I looked a few years ago they were much less.  However, after checking it out from Open Library I was somewhat underwhelmed when comparing it to Forester, Dolciani and AoPS for ds13.  Though I'm not ruling it completely for our dds, depending on how they do in Pre-A.

We bought ours last year on eBay or Amazon (can't remember since they both had copies) for $30-35. It is definitely easy to find and inexpensive. :)

I bought our Jacobs before the prices went nutters. :huh:  If finances are a concern and Foerster seems like it may be too much, consider Lial's Introductory Algebra. Solid text, and a boardie does online classes with it (Jann in TX? I think?). You can usually find older editions with their solutions manual for dirt cheap on Amazon.