Menu

Book burning

Does anyone else get to that point in the school year where you know you should resell the book at the end of the year, but you really just want to get done with it and watch it slowly burn?

I have a few books I am so sick of that I can't wait to finish and move on. Saxon 3 is one of them. We have spread that book out over 2 years to solidify math facts, and we are both just so, so sick of looking at it!

Anyone else want to join my book burning party?

:lol:

I keep watching to see what you do next, and if after a full year you like it more.

Nope...lol.  I still have it (yellow level) penciled in my plans for oldest kiddos but...mostly, we pretty much only use it for dictation right now.  I have them do a few of the WB exercises, too. 

Next year...I am going to use EIW, AAS, and we will continue the book studies we are currently doing already.  I can include vocab, dictation, reading comp, etc from the book studies.  

On that note, thus far, I have not found any of the book study curricula to be to my liking.  Progeny Press was probably the better.  Total Language Plus...just didn't really work for us.  

The big question now is...what will I do for language arts with my youngest two? I have no idea...lol.

I still have no idea what I am doing for my 1st grader in grammar next year. Go back and forth since I decided not to do Shurley with him.

Today, I am trying to decide if I should continue with Saxon 5/4 next year or do something entirely. The big problem has been the haphazard way they throw math facts at him. He gets everything conceptually and loves Life of Fred as a supplement. We are finally starting to make progress with addition and subtraction, but I don't know if I want to go through the same process in Saxon in getting down multiplication and division. Of course, I already have the book. My son has looked at it and it less than enthusiastic. Maybe I should add it to the pile too (except I know my next child will need it.)

I still have no idea what I am doing for my 1st grader in grammar next year. Go back and forth since I decided not to do Shurley with him.

Today, I am trying to decide if I should continue with Saxon 5/4 next year or do something entirely. The big problem has been the haphazard way they throw math facts at him. He gets everything conceptually and loves Life of Fred as a supplement. We are finally starting to make progress with addition and subtraction, but I don't know if I want to go through the same process in Saxon in getting down multiplication and division. Of course, I already have the book. My son has looked at it and it less than enthusiastic. Maybe I should add it to the pile too (except I know my next child will need it.)

If it makes any difference, lol...I'm leaning towards a more hands off approach with my youngest two, when it comes to grammar.  Basics...such as nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc...I'll probably cover.  I just don't know with what, yet.  

Despite my dislike of LLATL, I may just reuse the red level I already have, with the youngest two.  It'll at least be something.  

Or maybe I'll use the free McGraw Hill Treasures.  Or maybe we'll work through a Spectrum Language Arts book.  

I have no idea yet.  Language arts is the bane of my existence.  

• Like 1