Menu

Quick remedial math for a 13yo boy

Well, that will depend on why he is struggling in the first place.  Rushing a student that is struggling in math will just be a waste of time, IMHO.  Doesn't mean the student can't eventually move at a faster rate and "catch up" at some point, but it does mean that there will probably be periods where they move quickly and times where they have to slow down.

FWIW, I have a 14 year old daughter who was struggling terribly in math for years.  We started homeschooling in 6th and bounced curriculum like crazy trying to "catch up".  It was a terrible mistake and netted us nothing but misery and depression.  I started her completely over with very basic subitization skills for 7th and began her in CLE 200 series (2nd grade math) for 8th grade.  She is finally understanding what she is doing and is now getting to the end of Level 300.  When she starts Level 400 we will just keep moving at the pace that works best for her.  She and I plan to work through every summer and some Saturdays and she is on board with that.  We also double up some lessons.  If things go well she may reach Algebra I by mid-10th grade but there are no guarantees.  I just have to keep staying at the pace that works for her brain, KWIM?

On the flip side of that coin, for your particular circumstances, if there are no learning issues and this is just lack of exposure or using a poorly fitting math program for an extended period of time, then maybe get a list of needed math skills to get up to 7th grade material and target those specifically before giving him a placement test and moving him hopefully into grade level material.  In fact, you might give a placement test now, find where the weak areas are or the areas he has no exposure and target those.  Then give him another placement test to see where he places at the end of the targeted instruction.  The success of this plan depends, though, on the child NOT having any learning challenges that have not been addressed.

Have you had any evaluations?  Do you feel the student needs any?

• Like 2

I just realized I responded to your initial post over on the Gen ed board, I think it was (or K-8?).  I want to reiterate you have done a great thing with your kids and I applaud you for being proactive. Yeah!  I know this road has been challenging.   :grouphug:

Now I would like to reiterate something that was brought up on the other thread.  if you haven't gotten an assessment for your 13 year old, I must please ask you to consider doing so.  Before hopping curriculum or rushing your child through material he may not be ready for, getting solid answers as to why he is struggling in certain areas seems a much more effective path to me.  

Read through other posts on this board.  You will find many parents with bright kids that have areas where they struggle.  While getting assessments didn't cure the issues, it gave (in most instances) badly needed answers for WHY there are struggles and WHERE there are strengths that can be tapped into.  Frequently the underlying issues are masking or inhibiting the strengths and the strengths may be masking what the real issues are.  A professional can hopefully tweak all of that out and give you a better, more productive path to follow.

In the meantime, if what you are doing is working, then stick with it.  Let him go at whatever pace provides success and long term understanding/retention.

• Like 4

I really think that if R and S is progressing well (it seems he has moved from grades 3-5 so I would consider that progressing well), I would just continue working through that, but work 6-7 days a week (depending on if you need a break) and work through the summer. I would be extraordinarily hesitant to hop curriculum again looking for a magic fix. 

• Like 2

Agree that Khan Academy might be a nice supplement!  Love Khan Academy.

One caveat, though.  If they have reading comprehension issues you may need to sit with your child and read the material to them.  Honestly, Khan Academy is pretty great, though.  I just wouldn't use it as the main program with a child that struggles in math.  Love it as a supplement or even as an alternative when days are getting crazy or frustrating.

• Like 1

I really think that if R and S is progressing well (it seems he has moved from grades 3-5 so I would consider that progressing well), I would just continue working through that, but work 6-7 days a week (depending on if you need a break) and work through the summer. I would be extraordinarily hesitant to hop curriculum again looking for a magic fix. 

:iagree:

And hugs, marn.  I totally understand your concerns and your goals.  Are you looking at trying to put him back in a brick and mortar school?  That would change the landscape a bit.  Otherwise, I honestly would just stick with what is working and work at the pace your child seems successful.  Do some on Saturdays and work through the summers instead of trying to find a curriculum that rushes a student through the material.

I just realized I responded to your initial post over on the Gen ed board, I think it was (or K-8?).  I want to reiterate you have done a great thing with your kids and I applaud you for being proactive. Yeah!  I know this road has been challenging.   :grouphug:

Now I would like to reiterate something that was brought up on the other thread.  if you haven't gotten an assessment for your 13 year old, I must please ask you to consider doing so.  Before hopping curriculum or rushing your child through material he may not be ready for, getting solid answers as to why he is struggling in certain areas seems a much more effective path to me.  

Read through other posts on this board.  You will find many parents with bright kids that have areas where they struggle.  While getting assessments didn't cure the issues, it gave (in most instances) badly needed answers for WHY there are struggles and WHERE there are strengths that can be tapped into.  Frequently the underlying issues are masking or inhibiting the strengths and the strengths may be masking what the real issues are.  A professional can hopefully tweak all of that out and give you a better, more productive path to follow.

In the meantime, if what you are doing is working, then stick with it.  Let him go at whatever pace provides success and long term understanding/retention.

No worries :) Makes sense to let him work at his pace. I could ruin a good thing by rushing him when he is calm. My plan is to HS all the way through so we have plenty of time. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and reassuring me.

• Like 2

aleks.com is really good for reviewing some topics that a child might've "forgotten" or stuff that hasn't yet cemented in their brains but the basic understanding is there. What I like about them is it starts with a pretest and figures out what topics a child knows and what needs to be learnt. It then reassess a child ever 10 hr of learning. It's efficient at pointing out gaps and reviewing them. It is NOT good for learning new topics.

• Like 1

aleks.com is really good for reviewing some topics that a child might've "forgotten" or stuff that hasn't yet cemented in their brains but the basic understanding is there. What I like about them is it starts with a pretest and figures out what topics a child knows and what needs to be learnt. It then reassess a child ever 10 hr of learning. It's efficient at pointing out gaps and reviewing them. It is NOT good for learning new topics.

Great! Thanks for sharing :) 

Consider asking before each chapter if he has seen some of it before. You may come across chapters he does know and maybe just give him a review test or something and skip a chapter that way. If being behind is d/t reading, read aloud for him to assess his skills. I'm assuming you used some placement test or something? Sorry I'm ignorant about R&S.

• Like 1