Menu

Dr Bernstein diet question

Katy

So I've been following Dr Bernstein's 6-12-12 diet, and I have a question for those that follow it.

I'm craving fruit.  I had a bag of frozen wild blueberries in the freezer so the other day at lunch I had a small salad (6 carbs) and 1.45 ounces of blueberries covered in a tablespoon of cream (yes, I measured using the digital scale, 6 carbs per cronometer).  My blood sugar went down after eating them, not up (I measured at 45 minutes and 90 minutes).

So does "eating to your meter" mean I can have blueberries (obviously in tiny quantities only)?

If not, why does the newer copy of the book allow things like bran crackers but disallow fruit?  Is there something I'm missing about how fruit is damaging?

I have no idea about that particular diet.  But, I agree with you that blueberries sound much more worthwhile in terms of per-carb nutritional value than bran crackers.  My guess is that fructose is to be avoided, whereas bran crackers wouldn't have fructose, but especially since you've tested it, I'd be inclined to go with the blueberries.

• Like 2

As you know, Dr. Bernstein's main premise is to test everything to see how it affects your body.  Regardless of what his ideas are on fruit or bran crackers, if it lowers or spikes your blood sugar levels, make your dietary suggestions off that.  I'm certain he would tell you that if blueberries with creme made your blood sugar level drop, not spike, to do it again and again to see if that pattern continues.  If it does, then you can safely assume these are safe foods for you.  Will they be safe for other diabetics?  They will only know if they test and test again.  Even if blueberries and creme spikes a hundred diabetics blood sugar levels, but they stabilize yours, I would go with your results, not theirs.

Hope you enjoyed your blueberries with creme!  :drool5:

• Like 5

As long as it isn't reactive hypoglycemia you're good. I'd test it again in a day or three and if you only have a modest change in blood sugar consider it a good food for you :)

Perfect!  I'll try again in a few days then.  And yes, they were delicious.  I ate them frozen and told DH they were better than ice cream. Thanks everyone.  I feel much more confident in my ability to stick to this diet if I can have fruit occassionally, even if it's just a quarter cup of berries!

More questions:  he talks about vigorous exercise, but he doesn't get much into the amount or the duration, just that it should be intense.  Except for the part about how walking a mile is better than running a mile.  Can someone sum up exercise recommendations?

How long should I give diet and exercise before I try the extended release metformin?

Has anyone tried the red pepper sauce?  It seems pretty expensive to try, compared to a homemade tomato sauce.  Just want to know if it's worth it before I drop $15 on red peppers.

Vigorous exercise would be something that raises your heart rate up to the target level, and I'm sorry but that level is escaping me? For my own body it's 114-120 BPM, and my resting heart rate is around 60 BPM. Duration? I'd say ten minutes of sustained exercise or a half hour of HIIT would be in line with the spirit of what I'm seeing him recommend.

Thanks Alyssa!  I got several of those Zuzka Light DVD programs for Christmas and I haven't even worked through them all yet, I found them too difficult.  It occurs to me that I worked my way up to working out with her a few years back by doing callesthenics.  I'll start with pushups, pullups, crunches, plyo squats, lunges, and dips again and test and see.  I do typically prefer running or cross country skiing (I have an old Nordic Track Ski Machine for summer) to walking or biking, but I can slow things down and make it a family activity.  Thanks for all your helpful info!

• Like 1