Menu

Considering the SAT for the first time

We are in NZ, so the SAT has not really been on my radar.  But it appears that one of the universities my ds is interested in in Australia, can use the SAT for students outside of the Australian system. 

The program requires a 2200 to get in.  Is this at all reasonable to strive for with a student who is bright and motivated? 

Where do we even start with preparation?  We have 3 years and my ds can't write fast AT ALL!  Also, isn't the SAT changing?

Yikes, feeling a bit out of my depth here.

Ruth in NZ

The SAT is radically changing next year. (I believe the first new test will be administered next March.)  The new exam will revert back to the old 1600 maximum score.

Imo, the best way to prepare is to go through some tests in the College Board "Blue Book."  This book contains 10 released SAT exams. 

Good luck

• Like 1

I can't see either the math or verbal being a challenge for your son at all. The writing really is mostly a test of being able to say nothing authoritatively and quickly. I don't know how the changes will affect the test, but a 2200 is certainly doable for a strong math student with a good solid LA background.

• Like 1

ok, I won't panic. I wonder if ANU will want the writing component of the new test.  I'm already increasing the writing load this year and the time constraints to prep for the 12th grade English exam, so he will be somewhat ready if they want the writing.  Will wait for the new book to come out.

99% as an entrance *requirement* just seemed a bit crazy.  Glad to know some of your dc have achieved it.

Thanks for helping me through my small panic.

Ruth in NZ