Menu

Long shot----anyone in the Helena, MT area?

Ottakee

I am driving with a friend from Michigan to Montana later next week.  I was hoping to get a flight home out of Bozeman which is closer to where we will be but they are $$$ and no mileage tickets available.  I can get one out of Helena for the next day but that means I would be dropped off in Helena likely late morning and then fly out the following day at 5:50am.  I will not have a car.  

Just wondering if anyone was from that area that knew which hotels were in a safe area for a single female traveler and if any where in a nicer area to walk to stuff or if I just bring a book and sit at the hotel the whole time.

I don't mind walking a mile or more to something IF it is a nice safe area for me to be walking alone.

Take a look at reviews and maps on trip advisor. It has hotels, attractions etc. I even googled hotels with airport shuttles. It looks like there are things to see relatively close. You could call the hotel and ask about transportation. 

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Helena which had a shuttle to the airport. It was safe and there were lots of shops and restaurants. I walked with the kids to the children's museum which is near Carroll College. It looks like there's an art museum near that hotel, but we didn't go. There's also a Holiday Inn closer to the airport. It's a more retail/commercial area and less attractive than the downtown hotel, but it still seemed pretty safe.

The hotels along I-15 are safe (either side of the interstate) and a few have restaurants very near to walk to.  I always travel there with only the kids and always feel very safe most everywhere.  There is a nice place to walk downtown that has some shops that would kill some time but there are no motels within walking distance that i know of.  I would probably google the hotels there and call to see if they have a shuttle service and where to. 

Montana is a very safe place overall. :) But theres not much to do in Helena itself.

Thanks. I am just trying to play the mileage ticket vs. paying for a ticket game to get me home from Montana.  I will check out those hotels.  I don't mind walking at all but usually I have a friend with me or in parks, etc. I have my dog and in Helena I will be all alone.

Does anyone know if it is safe to walk from the hotels on 15 to the historical museum?  This would be daylight/daytime hours.

I looked into a car rental so I would have more freedom but it was $80-90 just for 24 hours so not worth it at all.

Warm sounds good. We have been in the 40s the past few days and it feels wonderful.... But we still have a foot or more of snow on the ground.

Do you know how the area is for walking around? I need to pick a hotel but I need some with airport transportation at 4:15am so that is more limiting too.

I'd just call some of the downtown hotels and ask about the airport shuttles. They can tell you too how far it is to walk to the various sites. That site has a map of downtown, so it might be just as easy to take a cab to a central spot and stroll from there. 

I grew up in the Helena area. There is a Best Western, Super 8, Days Inn, and Fairfield Inn all in the area of the Capital (museums, ect) within a mile or so.   If you want to stay closer to the airport, there are also several hotels (Quality Inn, Wingate), plus lots of shopping in that area.  The town isn't huge by any means.  Taxi cabs are probably in the $7.50 range flat rate still (one way), so thats also an option.  There is also a truncated bus system that would be cheaper if you wanted to get around a bit.  

Let me know if you have any specific questions. 

• Like 1