Menu

Having a really hard time deciding on Math for 8th Grader

JaniceO

I haven't posted here for several years. My children were homeschooled for a few years starting when we lived in Italy. Then we moved to Washington and I homeschooled for a year before putting them back in public school, at their request. We now live in Guam and the DODEA school they attend is just as bad as the one in Italy. I am planning on pulling my youngest two out next year and homeschooling. They will be in 8th grade and 5th grade.

I have narrowed down math programs for my daughter going into 5th grade. I just ordered the first Beast Academy book and we will start going through that program as soon as we get it. We will probably use it and something like Singapore or Math Mammoth for next year. 

I have no clue what to get for my 8th grader. He really likes math, but is just an average student. He hates school and therefore doesn't put forth any effort. In 6th grade he used a standard 6th grade public school math text, aligned to Common Core. This year, I don't think they are using a math text (this school hasn't adopted Common Core). His teacher puts a problem down on paper, teaches how to solve it, and they do more problems in that manner. He also assigns a lot of Khan Academy. I think he had them go through Khan Academy starting at a really low level. My son says he has asked to do something else because what the teacher is putting down on his paper, is stuff he knows from last year. 

Right now, my goal for 8th grade is to make sure he is ready for high school. As of now, I am not prepared to homeschool for high school so the plan is to put him back into the high school here (which is just as bad as the elementary/middle school, so I am definitely researching high school information). 

He needs a Pre algebra program to prepare him for Algebra 1 in 9th grade. I'm afraid Saxon will make him hate math. I'm worried Teaching Textbooks will be too light. I loved CLE when we used it before, but my husband did not like the religion in it, as we are secular. I love the looks of AOPS, but I don't know if I could teach it and I'm not sure his brain could handle it, lol. Any suggestions? Sorry this is long, but I wanted to give the background information in case it helps get better recommendations.

Have you looked at Jousting Armadillos.

There are some good threads on it. I would post and hang out on the logic board. There is so much Math discussion there. :)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/536973-concept-heavy-but-not-discovery-based-pre-algebra-and-beyond

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/536672-aops-pre-algebra-detailed-review

• Like 2

Welcome back, Janice.

[i'm amused (well, not really) at the fact that the schools in Guam have not changed for the better since I lived there in the seventies.  The public schools had a terrible reputation at the time, and I ended up attending the local Catholic schools.]

My daughter used Margaret Lial's Algebra books for Algebra I and 2.  There is also a Lial's Pre-Algebra book.  We didn't use it with my daughter, but my husband (who tutors) uses it frequently with his students.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I am looking at all of them and trying to decide. Jousting Armadillos looks interesting, but again, I'm not sure he could handle it. I don't know if he made any forward progress at all in math this year, so I need to give him a placement test or two and see what he is capable of.

Kareni, the Guam public schools are even worse than the DODEA school. Had that been my only option, I would have homeschooled them as soon as we got here. I had such high hopes for the DODEA school though. I shouldn't have, after our experience in Italy.

• Like 1

Kareni, the Guam public schools are even worse than the DODEA school. Had that been my only option, I would have homeschooled them as soon as we got here. I had such high hopes for the DODEA school though. I shouldn't have, after our experience in Italy.

That's a sad commentary, Janice.

You mentioned placement tests ~

I compiled this list of placement tests some time ago; some are for algebra, some are for pre-algebra.  I haven't checked to see if the links are all still active.

MATH 500-800 Diagnostic Test

http://www.clp.org/d...sts_500-800.pdf

Answer key

http://www.clp.org/d...er_s_Manual.pdf

These are the placement tests for Singapore Math.  If a child scores over 80% then they are able to move on to the next level.  The sixth grade curriculum is broken into two books.  The next level after sixth grade is an integrated math that includes algebra, geometry, etc.

Singapore Primary Math 6A (U.S. Ed.)

Singapore Primary Math 6B (U.S. Ed.)

Calvert Algebra Placement Test (pdf with no answers)

http://homeschool.ca...acementTest.pdf

These are K12 placement tests.  Answers included.

Pre-Algebra A Semester 1 Assessment 13 (505 KB) Semester 2 Assessment 14 (549 KB) Pre-Algebra B Semester 1 Assessment 15 (124 KB) Semester 2 Assessment 16 (659 KB)

Math-U-See Placement tests. Answers included.

Pre-Algebra Placement Test

Algebra 1 Placement Test

Thinkwell Placement test:

Test 4

Algebra 1 Placement Test Answer Key

Perhaps something here will be of help.

Regards,

Kareni