Menu

Can MUS Algebra I and MUS Geometry be done concurrently?

Well does your student have some basic algebra skills already or will this be her first exposure to Algebra?

We've had a lot of Algebra 1 exposure already and I'm toying with the idea of doing Algebra and Geometry concurrently also.

Somewhere, I've seen it recommended that Geometry and Algebra 2 be done concurrently.

• Like 1

My dd is doing MUS PreAlgebra right now in 9th grade. So it would be her first real exposure to Algebra. She is doing very well with the MUS Prealgebra and this is my dd that has always struggled with math. I normally see Algebra 2 and Geometry together as well, but that puts her finishing Geometry near the end of 11th grade which is late for testing purposes. She is motivated to move into both the Algebra and Geometry texts as soon as she finishes up the PreAlgebra text, but I'm not sure how much of the information in algebra 1 may be needed first in order to understand the geometry text. I know that I do not want to move at a faster rate through algebra 1. So the only remaining possibility is starting geometry concurrently at the earliest point possible without jeopardizing understanding.

I have done Lial's Beginning Algebra (algebra 1 for high school) and Harold Jacob's Geometry concurrently.

My kids had exposure to algebra prior to algebra 1 due to their rocketry team engineering activities as well as other scientific pursuits so it wasn't their first time encountering the math. To make sure it would work out though, I had them accomplish the first three chapters of Lial's before beginning geometry. This worked very well.

• Like 2

Yes. They were originally published together in one combo book. Later editions split them apart. The content remained the same at that point. Then they wrote the honors supplement books. I believe those are now incorporated into the the books. (I bought the combo book back when my oldest finishing 6th grade. (He's now married with 3 kids. ;))

The geometry in MUS is very, very light and mostly just understanding the relations of angles, how to find surface area and volume, etc. Is this for the 15 yr old in pre-alg? If so, it would probably be a good match for a struggling math student. It covers the basics. For a strong math student, I wouldn't recommend it. My kids complete the combo book in a single school middle school and we use it as pre-alg and pre-geo.

ETA: I was typing when you posted. It should be fine. You might need to take longer than a single school yr, depending on her ability to master the concepts. But, for a student who really just needs the basics, it should be ok.

• Like 1

Yes. They were originally published together in one combo book. Later editions split them apart. The content remained the same at that point. Then they wrote the honors supplement books. I believe those are now incorporated into the the books. (I bought the combo book back when my oldest finishing 6th grade. (He's now married with 3 kids. ;))

The geometry in MUS is very, very light and mostly just understanding the relations of angles, how to find surface area and volume, etc. Is this for the 15 yr old in pre-alg? If so, it would probably be a good match for a struggling math student. It covers the basics. For a strong math student, I wouldn't recommend it. My kids complete the combo book in a single school middle school and we use it as pre-alg and pre-geo.

ETA: I was typing when you posted. It should be fine. You might need to take longer than a single school yr, depending on her ability to master the concepts. But, for a student who really just needs the basics, it should be ok.

Thank you. That is great news. My dd is definitely a motivated, yet struggling math student. MUS has been a good fit thus far. She will be very happy to know that she can start both books together and we won't need to rush through either program. Slow and steady has been her math mantra for a long time now.

• Like 2

If you poke around used sites you might be able to find the older edition of the combined alg/geo books. I found a complete set on Ebay about this time last year. My DS (struggled with math for years) will probably finish it this month. He works with a retired STEM professor nearly daily. Up next the tutor will cherry-pick some topics from more traditional alg and geo books to cover to finish out this year.

• Like 1

Geometry does have algebra review in it, but it really isn't a problem to do them concurrently. 

I wouldn't use the combined book. According to Steve Demme (at a convention), it is not as complete. They added material when they split them. I never used the combined program, so I don't know that from experience, but i do have a combined practice book and it contains fewer concepts that the two individual programs do. A friend gave it to me and we used it for a bit of extra practice, but not everything was covered. Don't ask me what wasn't covered - I don't remember and I've never tried to do a side by side.

• Like 2

Geometry does have algebra review in it, but it really isn't a problem to do them concurrently. 

I wouldn't use the combined book. According to Steve Demme (at a convention), it is not as complete. They added material when they split them. I never used the combined program, so I don't know that from experience, but i do have a combined practice book and it contains fewer concepts that the two individual programs do. A friend gave it to me and we used it for a bit of extra practice, but not everything was covered. Don't ask me what wasn't covered - I don't remember and I've never tried to do a side by side.

Thanks. My dd wants two separate books. That way she can move at different speeds or shift focus to only one or the other as necessary.

• Like 1