Menu

Fairy tales for younger kids...

nature girl

My DD5 adores fairy tales, and I'd like to start reading Lang's Fairy Tale books, but she's a very sensitive kid, and if I'm remembering correctly from when I read them myself as a kid, some of the stories are a bit frightening. I'll pre-read each story before I read it aloud, but I'd love suggestions on which of the books to start with. Are any better than the others for a younger child?

If you have any other fairy tale-type stories or collections that your kids enjoyed, I'd love to hear those as well! (We've loved every Barefoot Book collection we've ever read, if anyone else is looking for suggestions.)

My girls adore our My Book House set. It's a vintage anthology set. You can usually find them used on Amazon, Ebay, or local used book stores/thrift shops. For those ages I'd look specifically at the first four books (book 1 is mostly poetry and rhymes).

Collier's Junior Classics volume 2 has tales from around the world.

The Children's Hour anthology also has one volume that's all fairy tales. I think the title is Through Fairy Halls, but I don't remember it's number.

• Like 1

We have "A First Book of Fairy Tales". It's a collection of short/simple versions of popular fairy tales. My kids love it.

We also have "Classic Fairy Tales", which has longer stories, and more words per page. My son who could sit and read all day long (age 4) loves it, but I will say he is sensitive and a couple stories do scare him a bit. But apparently they're not too scary, because we have read them more than once, and he seems to be ok with it. For example, Hansel and Gretel has a witch who wants to eat them, or even the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood eating the grandma and little girl. This book doesn't skip those parts. So if you think that's too much for your child, then maybe keep this book in mind for later. Because it's still a good book!

• Like 1

My kids said "Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know" isn't scary but they aren't terribly sensitive. I found it free for Kindle.

I found the Lang books free for Kindle as well, there are many delightful stories but I would definitely pre-read.

My DD (also 5) adores the "McCall Storytime Treasury" books - gorgeous illustrations, and the versions are often mild. They presented the stories in mostly dialog form, so it isn't as lyrical to read, but my DD can take the books and go off to a corner to pore over them. 

http://www.amazon.com/STORYTIME-TREASURY-BOOTS-ALADDIN-MAGIC/dp/B000F4W0A4

We also like The Giant Golden Book of Russian Fairy tales:

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Tales-GIANT-GOLDEN/dp/B000I3EECE/

Not directly an answer to your question, but since many anthologies/collections contain a Fairy Tale volume, this old thread (which lists many of them) may interest you:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/350540-anthologies-the-childrens-hour-vs-young-folks-library-vs/