Menu

Can you tell me everything you know about sub clinical seizures?

Is this for your child with ASD? YES. Our neurologist told me that it's about 30% of kids with ASD will also have seizures.

Regression is apparently one of the big "red flags" for subclinical seizures. INTERESTING, I DIDN'T KMOW THAT.

She just had an appointment and her psychiatrist said that her perseveration is like the spark that ignite a full blown tantrum. And the repeated firing (the perseveration) in her brain functions like a seizure. He called them sub clinical seizures. She doesn't lose consciousness or anything and she remembers what happens during the episodes (so it's not a "real" seizure) and is always sorry after, but she really has no control over them. He said that's why the anti seizure mood stabilizers work for her: the perseveration/tantrum acts like a seizure.

I'm trying to understand this but I don't quite get it.

She just had an appointment and her psychiatrist said that her perseveration is like the spark that ignite a full blown tantrum. And the repeated firing (the perseveration) in her brain functions like a seizure. He called them sub clinical seizures. She doesn't lose consciousness or anything and she remembers what happens during the episodes (so it's not a "real" seizure) and is always sorry after, but she really has no control over them. He said that's why the anti seizure mood stabilizers work for her: the perseveration/tantrum acts like a seizure.

IDK but I thought subclinical seizures were changes on EEG without changes in activity.  So, brain seizure activity without visible effect?  For the psychiatrist to say the brain functions "like" a seizure and then diagnose sub clinical seizures seems...IDK.  Any seizure diagnosis like that I'd seek from a neurologist but I'm not an expert!

We have the same thing here.......and I get it, but don't.......if you get that :-)

The seizure meds are very helpful for mood disorders.  There is a lot of overlap in meds that work for mood issues and seizures.

Have you tried any of the seizure meds for the moods?  We have had good success with Lamictal along with Risperdal (that one helps tantrums and rages quite a bit).

We have the same thing here.......and I get it, but don't.......if you get that :-)

The seizure meds are very helpful for mood disorders. There is a lot of overlap in meds that work for mood issues and seizures.

Have you tried any of the seizure meds for the moods? We have had good success with Lamictal along with Risperdal (that one helps tantrums and rages quite a bit).

Ok, I'm glad it's not just me! I get it, but I don't really at the same time.

Yes, she takes risperdal with Trileptal. Risperdal brought the intensity of her tantrums down a few notches but the trileptal (seizure med) has been a miracle drug. It controls the perseveration which sets off the tantrums.

Maybe I shouldn't ask why it works and just be thankful it does.

Ok, I'm glad it's not just me! I get it, but I don't really at the same time.

Yes, she takes risperdal with Trileptal. Risperdal brought the intensity of her tantrums down a few notches but the trileptal (seizure med) has been a miracle drug. It controls the perseveration which sets off the tantrums.

Maybe I shouldn't ask why it works and just be thankful it does.

We used Tegretol (a close cousin of Trileptal) for years along with the Risperdal so I know what you mean.  We are now on Keppra and Lamictal as my daughter had trouble with the metabolism of Tegretol (she has 3 rare mitochondrial disorders).  Be thankful you found something that works.

• Like 1