Menu

AoPS Online Algebra

My ds did not take the Algebra 1 class, but has taken 5 other classes with AoPS.  He has never done any additional work besides the assigned work.  The key seems to be the willingness to struggle and fight for a problem that is hard.  If you get help and hints, the problem becomes easier and you need to do more of them to master the material.   Does that make sense?

My son spends *at least* 10 hours on homework a week for each class.  So if there are 10 problems and 2 proofs, you get a sense of how hard they are. He does some problems in multiple ways to verify he is correct before submitting an answer. 

My ds has been able to master the material for his classes with this approach. 

I will say, however, that for Intro Algebra, my ds used the textbook without a course.  It took him close to 3 years to finish it because he did every. single. problem. in the book.  So his foundation might be stronger than a lot of other kids, don't know.  Hopefully some others will answer. :001_smile:

Ruth in NZ

My DS just finished taking the Algebra 1 class with AOPS. We did do most of the problems in the book as well for practice. We found that doing the assigned reading and problems ahead of each class gave DS confidence in the class and also helped him solve the assigned homework. For some chapters later on in the course, this was difficult because of number of problems as well DS' ability to fully grasp the material. In those cases, we went back to those chapters/ problems during breaks to finish up! It was not easy but well worth the effort!

we are strongly considering algebra b (which used to be called algebra 2) for DS12 for next year. I am concerned about the pace. He is in Counting And Probability now, his first AoPS course (and his first aops anything) and he spends about 10 hours a week on the homework right now. We were told by other wise ones on this board that he shoudl NOT be doing all the problems in the book, so that should help going forward.

You could always spend time after the class going back over each chapter and doing some additional work. Might be a way to consolidate a fast moving class. As I stated above, my ds took almost three years to complete the material in that very fat book. And he is a bit of a math wizz.😀. There is no hurry. Do the class but then consolidate if needed.

Ruth in NZ

If you were to do just the books what problems would you do if you did not want to do all them? This would be for a kid in a school that uses Saxon math so AOPS books would be a supplement?

I replied on your other thread, but I'd do as hard of problems as you can do in AoPS. The lessons in the chapters start extremely easy, but build up to very difficult so I wouldn't skip the teaching. The bulk of the problems are at the end of the chapters. Many very good students skip the challenging problems as the are VERY challenging, but doing the problems in order teaches you skills needed for the more challenging problems.

The answer to your question is not a simple - do these problems. If you want to supplement with AoPS, get a book at try it out. You can skip the easy problems if too easy, and just move on to the harder problems. Also, you might try out Alcumus which is the free online learning system.