Menu

DIVE Science... which textbook and tests?!?

Ok, I'm officially sold on DIVE science, yet am unsure which textbook to use... I see they offer an Internet Textbook, which appears to be various links to read prior to each lesson. There are also recommendations for the BJU text, or Abeka...

For those of you who have used DIVE... Did you strictly use the Internet Textbook or did you go with one of the others...??

And also, if you went with a different text, as in BJU or Abeka, did you use the DIVE tests or the corresponding text tests??

• Like 1

We used internet for their Earth Science, but textbooks for Biology and Chemistry. I don't like Saxon Physics, so we use something else for that.

My older one used the Christian Liberty text for Biology because I already owned it. We started with Apologia Biology, and although he gives a schedule, it just doesn't work as well in terms of the depth you need. When my younger one came around, we switched to BJUP Biology because I found a good deal on it.

For Chemistry, we also use BJUP Chemistry.

I used his tests. If you're going to use his lectures and labs, I wouldn't use the BJUP tests. His tests are based on the lectures and background reading you do in the book you choose.  If you want the BJUP tests, frankly I'd go with the BJUP DVDs/web because their emphasis is different.  His tests are quarterly.  Some on this board have had trouble with the tests because they are indeed more comprehensive, but we've been fine with them here.

We used internet for their Earth Science, but textbooks for Biology and Chemistry. I don't like Saxon Physics, so we use something else for that.

My older one used the Christian Liberty text for Biology because I already owned it. We started with Apologia Biology, and although he gives a schedule, it just doesn't work as well in terms of the depth you need. When my younger one came around, we switched to BJUP Biology because I found a good deal on it.

For Chemistry, we also use BJUP Chemistry.

I used his tests. If you're going to use his lectures and labs, I wouldn't use the BJUP tests. His tests are based on the lectures and background reading you do in the book you choose.  If you want the BJUP tests, frankly I'd go with the BJUP DVDs/web because their emphasis is different.  His tests are quarterly.  Some on this board have had trouble with the tests because they are indeed more comprehensive, but we've been fine with them here.

What are you using for Physics?

What are you using for Physics?

I'm writing my own using the college-level Conceptual Physics book.  I own one of the DVD sets he did, and we're using the workbook and some exercises from the book.  I have the quizzes from a previous edition of the book, and have been writing my own quarterly tests and doing my own labs as we go.  I wouldn't say that it is a put-together course because I'm doing parts of it on the fly, but my oldest is really enjoying it.  He says that it is the best science class he's had in high school.  We did my own Integrated Physics and Chemistry, then DIVE Biology and Chemistry, and now this physics for 12th.

We've used Saxon math since pre-algebra (RightStart and then CLE before that), but I worked through about 1/4 of the Saxon Physics book and decided that it wasn't going to work for us.  I couldn't grasp the concepts as well, and my older one has struggled some with math in high school.  He'll finish Advanced Math this year, but I wanted that to come first before a difficult physics class.  I worked in scientific research and program management in the physical sciences before children, so I'm picky about math and physics.

I'm inclined to have my next one do online physics with Clover Creek Science.  She's an excellent student, but not a motivated student in math and science.  I work full-time and homeschool, so I need streamlined materials as much as possible.  We'll see.  Next year is DIVE Chemistry, so I'll visit that choice a year from now.  She had DIVE Earth Science for 9th and DIVE Biology for 10th.

I just answered this question yesterday in this thread

I would definitely go with the DIVE tests if you are using the DIVE curriculum. The things he has taught are what is covered on his tests. The BJU tests are harder, more focused on detail and he will not have covered or emphasized the right things to match up. 

For physics, I think we are going with Derek Owens since I'm not interested in using Saxon and DIVE.

I just answered this question yesterday in this thread

I would definitely go with the DIVE tests if you are using the DIVE curriculum. The things he has taught are what is covered on his tests. The BJU tests are harder, more focused on detail and he will not have covered or emphasized the right things to match up. 

For physics, I think we are going with Derek Owens since I'm not interested in using Saxon and DIVE.

Yeah... I saw your answer in that thread after I had already posted..................

thanks for sharing..........

• Like 1

I don't know if that means you can't use later editions. I purchased the 7th edition because that's what the syllabus listed at the time, this was a few years ago, and it was much cheaper than the more current versions. I suspect they don't vary much. If you would prefer to use a different edition I recommend emailing Dr. Shormann and asking if the differences matter. He's very good at answering questions like that. 

• Like 1

I don't know if that means you can't use later editions. I purchased the 7th edition because that's what the syllabus listed at the time, this was a few years ago, and it was much cheaper than the more current versions. I suspect they don't vary much. If you would prefer to use a different edition I recommend emailing Dr. Shormann and asking if the differences matter. He's very good at answering questions like that. 

Thanks!  :)

His syllabus just gives a rough outline of the reading assignments. You can check to make sure you are reading the right chapters (if you choose a newer text) or make your own, by looking for his vocabulary words (they are listed at the top of each lesson) in the text. Match the part of the text that covers the vocab  covered in that lesson and you've made your own syllabus. It is super easy to do. If you are using a text like Cambell, there is a lot of material in the book not covered on the DVDs. We had this with Miller/Levine too. I just chose to insert that reading as it came in the order of the textbook. Sometimes we'd take a couple of days off from DIVE to cover some topics DIVE leaves out - evolution, classification, things like that. It worked great. We used the DIVE tests, so that material wasn't tested, but dd did get the exposure.

• Like 4