Menu

AOPS online after finishing book? Anyone done this?

Ds is on chapter 8 of the Intro to Algebra book. I have him do some, but not all, of the Challenge problems, due to time. He works through the book on his own, rarely needing assistance. He does use the book as written, doing the Problem sets first. He really enjoys the approach and wants to continue with AoPS. I am not sure whether that is the best fit for him. The discovery approach is great for him, but I don't know if the fit is right re: time commitment and difficulty going forward.

Anyway, for algebra, I am seeing the need for more review for him than the book provides, though.

Would having him take the Algebra A online course over the summer be a reasonable option? I think this class on its own would have been too fast for him, but if he will have already gone through most of the topics, maybe it would work and be helpful.

Are any of the assignments in the class different than what is in the book?

Would I be better off assigning review problems from Foerster (which I already have) or somewhere else? I'd be happy to hear other ideas.

I don't now. There are homework assignments that are different, but there are only few problems. The rest of the homework is Alcumus, which for the past week gave us a total of 2 problems per topic. So the book is the bulk of the work. We are taking preA 2. We thought being ahead in the class was going to be a good thing, but now I think it's better to be in sync with the class. So I wouldn't repeat the same material if I were you.

It's what I plan to do with DD after we finish up a couple of more chapters. DD is in chapter 8, so hopefully in a few months, she can be done with a few more. The online pace would have been too fast for her. In the meantime, I know DD does need extra practice so I usually use Foerster. It's not as difficult as AOPS, but it's good enough for now.

This is what one of my kids is doing right now.  He did most of the book chapters covered in Intro to Alg A but it's been a while (long story) so he needs review/re-teaching and more practice.  The online course should be perfect for this purpose.

Another option for review would be to have him work through Alcumus.