Menu

Best standardized test (administered by parent) for second grader...?

pehp

My state requires a standardized test from us each year, and I am wondering if anyone has any input on which tests might be good for a second grader (he's 7, will turn 8 in June, and is probably right at grade level on everything, although his decoding skills are above-average).  

In kindy, when testing was not required, I used the CAT just to see what it was like.  All was well.

In first grade, I learned that the CAT was phased-out and found a 1970 CAT that was normed to today's standards.  It was a nightmare to take, but we survived and he did fine. 

I need to administer the test myself.  I want to outsource testing around 5th/6th grade, but not yet.  He's still building his test-taking skills, and he's a fairly anxious child. 

Suggestions are WELCOME! TIA.

We use the Iowa test, but not the social studies or science portions as the material doesn't line up for our schedule. Was a breeze, ordered thru BJU, and sent it back for scoring. You need to register as a tester with them, but that was super easy to do.

Stanford is good too. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them really.

Thanks so much!  With the Iowa test, can you simply *not take* the subjects that do not apply?  We only have to submit scores for math and language arts, and because we are completely not aligned with the schedule of public school content subjects anyhow like history or science, I don't see the point. 

So, RosieCotton, did you just not take those portions at all?  And they will still score it for you, based on the portions you do take?  

It sounds pretty good to me.  I will check out the other options as well. Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much!  With the Iowa test, can you simply *not take* the subjects that do not apply?  We only have to submit scores for math and language arts, and because we are completely not aligned with the schedule of public school content subjects anyhow like history or science, I don't see the point. 

So, RosieCotton, did you just not take those portions at all?  And they will still score it for you, based on the portions you do take?  

It sounds pretty good to me.  I will check out the other options as well. Thanks everyone!

I believe with the IOWA you choose which subjects you can skip (so don't give social studies or science).  It will score reading and math and the scoring is separated out, giving reading comp, reading vocab, etc, and is normed to other children in the same grade, taking the test in the same 3? month window as you.