Menu

Tell me about Austin, TX (especially how it compares to Dallas)

Greta

You really need to go for a visit. I graduated from UT-Austin in the late 90's. Although the campus is huge, it is quite pretty with fountains and green spaces. It very much feels like it's own city within Austin. I don't know about now, but back then they had the "Dillos" to get you around town a bit. I rode the Leander express several times; so, the bus line did extend to some suburbs. I know traffic has gotten terrible in Austin in the last several years. As a freshman she needs to be prepared for 500 or more people in a class. It is not for the faint of heart. You can't beat the football games or school spirit. Hook 'Em!

• Like 2

Wow, that's too bad.

So, is this a big deal for getting into UT Austin in particular, or anywhere in the UT system?

GretaLynne, the 10% rule applies to all public universities in Texas. Because most high schoolers who take advantage of this rule tend to apply to UT, the Lege recently allowed UT (and only UT-Austin) to change its automatic admissions to the top 7% or so. Because this only applies to the high school ranking many kids unfortunately are unable to be academically successful there and drop out. I'm not sure how easy it is to get in as a transfer student.

UT's campus is big - its been called "The 40 Acres" for over a century. And, unfortunately, the 60s and 70s were not architecturally kind to UT. (The 80s weren't that nice, either, to be frank and I'm still mourning the loss of ESB. Such good memories there; such...unique...smells from the hundreds of microbiology experiments.)

The trick with UT or any large campus is to find your tribe. There are so many student groups encompassing so many different interests, careers, hobbies, etc that almost anyone (including your highly introverted roving reporter) can find a group to belong to.

• Like 1

You really need to go for a visit. I graduated from UT-Austin in the late 90's. Although the campus is huge, it is quite pretty with fountains and green spaces. It very much feels like it's own city within Austin. I don't know about now, but back then they had the "Dillos" to get you around town a bit. I rode the Leander express several times; so, the bus line did extend to some suburbs. I know traffic has gotten terrible in Austin in the last several years. As a freshman she needs to be prepared for 500 or more people in a class. It is not for the faint of heart. You can't beat the football games or school spirit. Hook 'Em!

Thanks, this is great information! Classes of 500 - wow! I had a few that were 200 and I thought that was a lot! This is mostly the Gen Ed and introductory type courses, though, right? Once she gets into the coursework for her major, classes will be smaller, I'm guessing.

ETA: We are working on a visit, thinking of maybe going some time this month.

• Like 1

GretaLynne, the 10% rule applies to all public universities in Texas. Because most high schoolers who take advantage of this rule tend to apply to UT, the Lege recently allowed UT (and only UT-Austin) to change its automatic admissions to the top 7% or so. Because this only applies to the high school ranking many kids unfortunately are unable to be academically successful there and drop out. I'm not sure how easy it is to get in as a transfer student.

UT's campus is big - its been called "The 40 Acres" for over a century. And, unfortunately, the 60s and 70s were not architecturally kind to UT. (The 80s weren't that nice, either, to be frank and I'm still mourning the loss of ESB. Such good memories there; such...unique...smells from the hundreds of microbiology experiments.)

The trick with UT or any large campus is to find your tribe. There are so many student groups encompassing so many different interests, careers, hobbies, etc that almost anyone (including your highly introverted roving reporter) can find a group to belong to.

Thank you very much for this! That's very good advice about finding your tribe. I checked, and there is an Orthodox Christian Fellowship on campus, so that might help. I'm sure there's lots of other groups to choose from as well.

Thanks, this is great information! Classes of 500 - wow! I had a few that were 200 and I thought that was a lot! This is mostly the Gen Ed and introductory type courses, though, right? Once she gets into the coursework for her major, classes will be smaller, I'm guessing.

ETA: We are working on a visit, thinking of maybe going some time this month.

Yes, many survey courses are huge and these are almost always the gen ed and intro to major studies type courses. My upper division courses in my major were much smaller and the profs really knew all the students. My major was music; but, I can't imagine that it's so different in other majors.

The campus is actually very walkable despite being so big and for those classes where you literally have to walk across campus - no small feat, let me tell you - the UT shuttle buses will help get you there. Free for students w/an ID. Once you're taking upper division courses most of the major studies classes will probably be concentrated in one or two buildings which are close together.

There is an Orthodox church - St. Elias (OCA, I believe, if that matters) - within walking distance from the campus in downtown - on 11th St, but I can't remember the cross street. I'm sure there are other Orthodox churches; but, this is the one I'm familiar with as I pass it every time I go to the Cathedral (over a street and up a block from St Elias).

• Like 1

Yes, many survey courses are huge and these are almost always the gen ed and intro to major studies type courses. My upper division courses in my major were much smaller and the profs really knew all the students. My major was music; but, I can't imagine that it's so different in other majors.

That was my experience at the University of Oklahoma as well. She's planning to take a few courses at our local CC, so she might be able to get out of a few of those big Gen Ed courses that way (if they transfer).

There is an Orthodox church - St. Elias (OCA, I believe, if that matters) - within walking distance from the campus in downtown - on 11th St, but I can't remember the cross street. I'm sure there are other Orthodox churches; but, this is the one I'm familiar with as I pass it every time I go to the Cathedral (over a street and up a block from St Elias).

Thank you for this! We're in an OCA parish right now, so that would be very comfortable and familiar. And walking distance is wonderful.

Btw- the top 7% is for in state students. UT reserves @10% of admissions for out of state/international students. In state students over the 7% are admitted first so that Texas students comprise @90% of the first year admissions. I am not sure of the transfer stats, but it is easier to transfer into UT than to start there. The other system universities are not difficult to get into.

• Like 1

Btw- the top 7% is for in state students. UT reserves @10% of admissions for out of state/international students. In state students over the 7% are admitted first so that Texas students comprise @90% of the first year admissions. I am not sure of the transfer stats, but it is easier to transfer into UT than to start there. The other system universities are not difficult to get into.

Thanks for explaining this further!

• Like 1